Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background Info -
I’ve had her about two years, however I’ve been told she’s about eight years old (I don’t know how true that is).
In April she started peeing blood, I took her to the vet and they told me she had uterine cancer however I’m highly doubtful of that since she stopped peeing blood shortly after I took her to the vet and seemed perfectly healthy up until now - I’m assuming she just had a cyst that burst and that’s why she was peeing blood and why they saw a mass on her uterus.
Around two or three months ago she started going blind / developing a cataract on one of her eyes and her other eye looks like it’s going too.
Just over a month ago I noticed a small lump on one of her back legs, it hasn’t gone away however it doesn’t look any different and hasn’t gotten any bigger.

Today -
The past two days she hasn’t eaten very much, I didn’t think much of it because she sometimes goes thru periods of not liking certain foods and not eating as much.
I cleaned her cage out a few hours ago and noticed she hasn’t been peeing under her wheel like normal and has been peeing by her igloo (where she sleeps) / food dishes.
While I was cleaning her cage she just kinda stood in one place while normally she’d go sleep under a t-shirt or runaround on the floor.
When I hold her she doesn’t really move, she feels limp and she doesn’t hiss or try to walk around or ball up, I touch her legs and she doesn’t react or try to pull them away. When I put her down she just sits there when usually she’d run around.
She looks like she’s breathing fine but when I hold her up I feel like she sounds congested - however I’ve never really listened to her breathe before so I may be reading too much into it.
I tried to feed her and she wouldn’t take it, usually she LOVES food. I gave her some painkillers that the vet gave me before incase shes in pain and I syringed her some water since I’m not sure if she’s drank. I left her in her cage with some kibble.

If she’s alive and like this tomorrow (it’s almost 10:00pm here as I’m writing this) I was thinking about just taking her to get euthanized. I’d rather take her to a specific place in town since I used to work there, I know their system and I know I’ll have awhile to sit with her, however, that vet only cares for dogs and cats so they won’t be able to check her over to confirm she’s dying. I’ll have to go over an hour away for a vet who somewhat knows what they’re doing so I’m not sure if I should go there to confirm that she’s actually dying. I don’t want to accidentally euthanize her if I’m overreacting however I’m pretty sure she’s dying. I’m kind of just looking for someone’s opinion? If maybe she’s not dying and it’s something else?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Does she seem like she's in pain? Is she actually having trouble doing any basic tasks like walking on her own, toilet, eating? I understand she's not moving around much, but you might also not be seeing her when she feels like being active.

I'm of the opinion that as long as they don't seem to be suffering and aren't on track towards a painful death (meaning you have a diagnosis of something that will end in death and cause pain and suffering along the way) that there isn't any reason not to simply make them comfortable and let them go naturally in their own time. Now, that being said, if you suspect that she's actually suffering and that putting her to sleep would be a kindness, it's better to do it a little early than a little late.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does she seem like she's in pain? Is she actually having trouble doing any basic tasks like walking on her own, toilet, eating? I understand she's not moving around much, but you might also not be seeing her when she feels like being active.

I'm of the opinion that as long as they don't seem to be suffering and aren't on track towards a painful death (meaning you have a diagnosis of something that will end in death and cause pain and suffering along the way) that there isn't any reason not to simply make them comfortable and let them go naturally in their own time. Now, that being said, if you suspect that she's actually suffering and that putting her to sleep would be a kindness, it's better to do it a little early than a little late.
She doesn’t seem like she’s in pain but I’m suspecting that she is having troubling moving or is just too weak to move. I put ten kibble in her food bowl last night and she ate six of them (which I guess is something but usually she eats everything in sight). She would’ve had to walk out of her igloo to get them so I guess that’s positive. When I checked on her a few minutes ago she did walk to her food bowl and nose around but didn’t eat anything. She also went to her water bowl and drank a little bit but then kinda just ‘collapsed’ very slowly and last I checked was laying there like that. A weird thing I noticed when I came into my room last night was that she was laying on her back trying to get up. She was by her wheel so I’m not sure if she fell off or just somehow fell over but she doesn’t use her wheel much in the first place. Overall she doesn’t seem to be in pain but if she is dying I feel bad letting her have a slow death.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
It might be too difficult for her to eat kibble, you might try making it softer with a little bit of water and see if you notice a difference. You can also bring all her necessities closer together. Bring her food and water closer to her bed. If she uses a litter box, you can bring that closer too. She may also benefit from a small temperature increase. I would only do one degree and see if it makes a difference.

Again, this is only my opinion, so don't feel obligated to follow it. But if the death isn't painful, i wouldn't want to rush her towards it. Going to that final vet visit is scary, and not how I would want to go out if it were me and I wasn't hurting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be too difficult for her to eat kibble, you might try making it softer with a little bit of water and see if you notice a difference. You can also bring all her necessities closer together. Bring her food and water closer to her bed. If she uses a litter box, you can bring that closer too. She may also benefit from a small temperature increase. I would only do one degree and see if it makes a difference.

Again, this is only my opinion, so don't feel obligated to follow it. But if the death isn't painful, i wouldn't want to rush her towards it. Going to that final vet visit is scary, and not how I would want to go out if it were me and I wasn't hurting.
I moved her food and water closer to her igloo last night and I think that definitely helped because she did eat a little more last night. I usually already soak her kibble but I’ve been making sure to REALLY soak it. I made loose plans to get her euthanized on Monday but since she doesn’t really seem like she’s suffering I might push it to Wednesday, however I might just decide not to get her euthanized since she doesn’t seem like she’s in pain. Thank you so much for your help:)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm so glad that seems to have helped. Something else you might try is offering her some wet cat food. It would be easy for her to eat and might jump start her appetite. You could also increase her treats. If her appetite is low its more important that she eats than it is what she eats.

I really hope she continues to improve and you can spend more time with her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so glad that seems to have helped. Something else you might try is offering her some wet cat food. It would be easy for her to eat and might jump start her appetite. You could also increase her treats. If her appetite is low its more important that she eats than it is what she eats.

I really hope she continues to improve and you can spend more time with her.
I’ve tried wet cat food in the past and she doesn’t seem like a big fan but I’ll try again, I seem to have more luck soaking her kibble until it’s pretty much just mush. I was syringing her a little bit of water the past two nights but I think I’m gonna stop that tonight since she’s been eating the soaked food so I feel like she’s probably fine. I’ve also been giving her painkillers that she was on before just on the off chance she is in pain. As of right now I am prepared to get her euthanized sometime this week but it kinda depends on if she gets worse or not. I think as soon as she stops eating completely or seems like she’s in pain then I’ll probably go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, ya, they never want what might be good for them. Either way, definitely make sure to give her lots of her favorite treats. Keeping my fingers crossed she perks back up for you.
So, weird thing just happened - I got up to feed her and she came out of her hut because she knew she was getting food (something she usually does but hasn’t done in the past few days) I took her out of her cage and put her on the floor. She hasn’t taken more then a step or two since around Thursday but she got up and walked around my entire room for a few minutes. She ate a good amount of her kibble and then fell asleep. She’s back in her cage now but I'm confused because I was definitely 100% sure she was going to die and now she seems almost back to normal. The only thing off about her is that she seems to be walking weird and she keeps falling over on her left side. I’ve poked around and no part of her seems to be in pain and I forgot to give her painkillers last night so I’m kinda wondering now if she has Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome? I’m very confused, I’m now thinking I should take her to the vet but considering they told me before that she had cancer when she didn’t I’m not sure if they’re very reliable. I’m just very very confused.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Oh good! She did perk back up! That's exciting news. Hopefully the balance issue works itself out. WHS is actually pretty rare, so I'd consider other possibilities first. Give her a few days. If she wasn't eating much over several days I could see how she might be a little unsteady. Keep us posted!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts