Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a relatively small 1x3 C&C cage and just set up a CHE for it. It's 100W, I'm pretty sure... I've got all the right equipment and it's set up right, and I can feel it emitting heat when I wave my hand under it, but it's not actually heating the cage? It's just stayed room temperature- which isn't a huge problem since my room stays relatively warm and Buffy has a pretty good tolerance for cold, but I'm still a bit worried. I'm just not sure if the CHE/cage setup is just not very compatible, or if the CHE itself isn't working very well :? any help would be much appreciated! I really don't want to go back to the space heater because it cost so much and sometimes made my room really uncomfortably hot ><

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same size cage made from the same thing. I also have a CHE on mine that is 100W I started with a 60W but that was not warm enough. WE keep our condo temp at about 69.8F and with the 60W CHE it was at about 71.5F so not warm enough when I changed to the 100W the temp in her cage is about 74F. Hufflepuff also has that plastic stuff about 6inches high around the bottom of the cage. she is in the closet but we keep the doors open so that the light can get into her cage. I would like for her cage to be a little warmer so that if i wanted to make the condo cooler I could but I don;t have the money to get a better CHE so i guess i will have to just keep it at the temp it is for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can use heavy duty plastic (like the kind you can put over your windows to keep out drafts in winter) and wrap their cage with it. One side covered with plastic might be enough, or 2-3 sides. If you cover more then one side, make sure to cut out some small holes in the plastic so the cage can be kept well ventilated. You can use zip ties to attach it to the cage. I didn't have any of the plastic so I cut some fleece to cover the sides of sonic s cage. Then realized that fleece blocks the light going into his cage, so I set up a lamp to shine directly into his cage on a timer :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh! Window plastic/fleece is a great idea, I didn't even think of that and I have excess amounts of both laying around! Thank you so much <3
The CHE has kept the cage at a pretty steady 72 since I set it up, weird that we have the exact same setup and yours comes out warmer Angy o_O location, I guess? I do have Buffy's cage in a corner, which I heard can make things a little cooler.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Wrapping the cage might help, as well as elevating it off the floor - heat rises, so it's warmer higher up in the room than on the floor. Is the corner an outside corner (the other side of the wall is the outdoors, not another room in the house)? If it is, it might help if you can rearrange things and put her in an inside corner, which tend to be warmer as well. You can also put a fleece blanket or a quilt underneath the cage the help insulate from below.

How much heat is emitting? Does it feel very warm or just kind of lukewarm? You can try turning the thermostat up so that it tries to keep the CHE on more/longer to keep the cage warmer. If that doesn't work, I would guess the CHE isn't strong enough or is broken - then I would try exchanging it for first another 100-watt (tell them it's not heating properly) and see if that one works better. If not, you may need a 150 watt. They're not that much more expensive - only $5 or $6, so if you can return the 100 watt, it wouldn't be much more to get one that works better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that you mention it, it is kind of on the lukewarm side of things. I think my dad actually grabbed it and touched the bulb earlier, after it had been on most/all of the night... I'm not sure if you're supposed to be able to do that without a burn o_O
I did have the thought that I'd set it really high if it was running low this morning, but I had the thermostat all the way on 100 from like 9-2pm and it didn't do much at all, so maybe I should look into a return :/

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Yeah, in my experience you definitely can't touch the CHE when it's on! :lol: I couldn't even touch the metal lamp half the time, it'd get pretty hot too. I would definitely look at a return or exchange then, and hopefully get one that will work better. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Sounds like the emitter may be defective. When on, they get blister hot. I'd exchange it for another one. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts