Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a new member. My family is going to be getting a hedgehog in the near future( from a breeder). I've been reading a lot about caging and still not to sure what to do.

We do not have the hedgehog yet, but we have started getting supplies for it. We had a 75 gallon aquarium laying around and decided on using it for our hedgehog. I've been reading a lot and seeing how it's ok for the hedgehog and then not ok. I just want to know if the hedgehog will be ok in my tank with a screened lid. (My breeders website said it would be OK as long as it's big enough)

Also heating, how would I go about heating it? As I said we started getting items for our hedgehog and we actaul got a under tank heater. My question is is it ok to use? Why and why not.? Also what should I look into if it's not good to use?

I think that's all my questions for now!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Aquariums aren't normally recommended because they offer inadequate ventilation and are generally so heavy that they become impractical and hard to clean. Personally, I would recommend getting a different cage, but obviously it's up to you.

The under tank heater was a good idea, but unfortunately will not heat the air and I would look into other options. Hedgehogs require an air temperature of above 73 fahrenheit at all times, and ceramic heat emitters and space heaters are the best way to accomplish this. An under tank heater will not hear the air to the needed temperatures and could potentially cause burns.

Please keep asking questions if you have any, and explore the forum in the meantime. There are some great topics on cage options, heating, and general care that you will likely find very useful. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Don't use the undertank heater at all. It's more likely to cause burns than to be of use in keeping your hedgehog warm and you'd be better off getting a space heater or CHE set up, as Prue said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.