Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since day one i've been using the same (home made-ish) cage. It's a plastic storage container with the lid off of course & a hole drilled into the side for the water bottle. I will attach a picture of a bin that looks roughly looks like mine, hopefully it works.
Seeing everyone else's cages on instagram and just generally around the internet started to make me feel kind of guilty since Oliver's cage is so boring and small :-( I would have a huge cage with tunnels & many hideaways If i didn't have to bring the cage back and forth from my Mom's house & Dad's house.
I tried to get a bigger cage for him and my friend kindly gave me her rabbit cage. its HUGE. Its a wire cage with a red bottom. I tried to use it for a week but i'm pretty sure that besides me taking him out to play during the day, he did not move in the cage the whole week. When I noticed he hadn't eaten or drank anything in 24 hours I got pretty worried. Not to mention he didn't use his wheel at all. I fed him by hand & gave him water. The next day he had moved all his blankets next to the food bowl so he could eat & drink from inside his snuggle sack..... not to mention pee & poo all over himself. I moved him back into the smaller cage.
I'm just worried that he's bored or feels cooped up in it ): is my cage big enough? I don't want him to be scared in the big one but I feel like my current cage is to small.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Some hedgies do prefer a smaller space. It can depend partially on how much they like exploring (or don't). If he's happy with his cage size, that's not a bad thing at all. That said...personally I do like the idea of offering more space considering how much they usually wander in the wild. If you do want to use the larger cage, t wouldn't hurt to try introducing him to it again, but work your way slowly up to using the whole cage so he has a chance to get used to the space.

You could do this by starting with just keeping everything on the same side of the cage, roughly the same distance apart as his smaller cage. Make sure the bedding hasn't been changed for a few days, so that he still has his own scent all around. Give him a few days like that & make sure he's eating normally & such with his food close by, then slowly start inching food & wheel further from his bed. Just keep a close eye on his food/water intake and such. But I think it's worth a try! You could also coax him into checking out the new space (once you have him used to it) by hiding treats around the cage. You may need to make them obvious at first until he realizes that there's good things around this place, but then could hide them a bit more. Lily loved this game after the first couple times of being introduced to it. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some hedgies do prefer a smaller space. It can depend partially on how much they like exploring (or don't). If he's happy with his cage size, that's not a bad thing at all. That said...personally I do like the idea of offering more space considering how much they usually wander in the wild. If you do want to use the larger cage, t wouldn't hurt to try introducing him to it again, but work your way slowly up to using the whole cage so he has a chance to get used to the space.

You could do this by starting with just keeping everything on the same side of the cage, roughly the same distance apart as his smaller cage. Make sure the bedding hasn't been changed for a few days, so that he still has his own scent all around. Give him a few days like that & make sure he's eating normally & such with his food close by, then slowly start inching food & wheel further from his bed. Just keep a close eye on his food/water intake and such. But I think it's worth a try! You could also coax him into checking out the new space (once you have him used to it) by hiding treats around the cage. You may need to make them obvious at first until he realizes that there's good things around this place, but then could hide them a bit more. Lily loved this game after the first couple times of being introduced to it. :)
That's a good idea :) Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts