Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just joined Hedgehog Central. I looks like there are so many experienced and kind people on here for help. :)

I adopted a female hedgie on july 2nd. I just got my new viv, it's 160x50, so she has loads of space. I already have a male hedgie, he lives in the same size viv underneath her... they are not in contact.

My female, Teddy, weighed just around 300grams when I got her. The past week I've been weighing her daily and she gained 70grams. This morning she lost 20grams..

I called the woman I adopted her from and she said that Teddy could be pregnant, since she shared a viv with a male.... WHAT?!!

I do have the space the give them everything they need. I'd just like your opinion on the following signs.

- She's A LOT bigger than when I got her, but this could be her normal growth?
- Her poop smells terrible, I cannot recall ever smelling this with my male..
- Her nipples are a little more visible than before, and her tummy has sort of a dark blue/ purple tone right in the middle, instead of white/pink.

She is not grumpy at all, still very active at night, a good eater/drinker and she has no clue what to do with the toilet paper pieces that I gave her, so she is not nesting at all..

What do you guys think?? Should I try to make some photos of her tummy?

Much love.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Since she was housed with a male it's very likely she is pregnant, especially with the changes you've mentioned. Hopefully one of the members with breeding experience has time to chime in, but until then, treat her like she's pregnant. Count 55 days from when you brought her home, assuming that will have been the last date of contact with a male, and wait. Babies should happen between now and day 55. If she's comfortable with being flipped over, some pictures would be nice!

Start reading this: http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/24-breeding-babies-help/6160-emergency-baby-advice.html
and this: http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru.../17659-so-you-want-breed-your-hedgehog-3.html
to get you started early on understanding and preparing for babies. Hedgehog breeding isn't a fun adventure and there are a lot of risks you'll need to learn to avoid when the time comes, so that you end up with as many healthy babies as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts