Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the white meat from my Easter Turkey would okay to give to my hedgies? It's Butterball brand and I'm pretty sure this is the nutritional info for it:

Calories 170
Calories from Fat 70
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8g 12%
Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 70mg 23%
Sodium 250mg 10%
Total Carbohydrates 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 21g 42%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Iron 8%
Calcium 0%
Ingredients: Turkey, Water, Salt, Modified Food Starch, Sodium Phosphates, Natural Flavorings.

I know plain white turkey meat for hedgies but I'm not sure if they inject it with any flavouring or anything?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Everything looks good on it the only thing thats questionable is that there is salt in it, I think the sodium on the nutritional list was 250mg. It's not much but Im not sure if it would be a significant amount when broken into a hedgehog sized portion. Thats the only thing I can see that would be a potential negative besides that looks like good stuff :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that was my only worry too! I think I'll pass, my girls aren't big meat eaters anyways and seem to prefer baby food and for their protein treats.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hedgiepets said:
Mine all love left over turkey!
What kind of turkey do you give yours? I'm worried about the butterball being inected with artificial flavorings like silvercat said.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We gave Miss Muffet some turkey on Sunday and I've never seen her anoint so much! I was so excited because my mom was over and she doesn't get to see hedgie too much because of her sleep schedule but I'd gone upstairs and she was wheeling away. So not only did she get to play with her but she saw her anoint all crazy-like as well. They sure can twist themselves into some strange positions! :lol:
I couldn't imagine that there would be too much of anything harmful in a bite sized piece of turkey breast, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mel2626 said:
We gave Miss Muffet some turkey on Sunday and I've never seen her anoint so much! I was so excited because my mom was over and she doesn't get to see hedgie too much because of her sleep schedule but I'd gone upstairs and she was wheeling away. So not only did she get to play with her but she saw her anoint all crazy-like as well. They sure can twist themselves into some strange positions! :lol:
I couldn't imagine that there would be too much of anything harmful in a bite sized piece of turkey breast, but that's just my opinion.
That's true, I'm sure they use all kind of preservatives on salts on almost all meats you would buy and cook for your hedgie anyways. I might give them just a little tiny bit.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
For the butterball I would only give a little bit & then watch your hedgie. I know for myself, being sensitive to seasonings (particularly garlic) I stay away from butterball turkeys (or anything with the mysterious added 'natural flavour'). We had a regular turkey that was basted in it's own juices which Sylvie has eaten some leftovers of and loves.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
silvercat said:
For the butterball I would only give a little bit & then watch your hedgie. I know for myself, being sensitive to seasonings (particularly garlic) I stay away from butterball turkeys (or anything with the mysterious added 'natural flavour'). We had a regular turkey that was basted in it's own juices which Sylvie has eaten some leftovers of and loves.
Sounds good, I still might not even give them any, since the opinion seems to be so split.

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
That's just the thing, you have no way of knowing what that natural flavoring could be. Butterball themselves state it is a proprietary blend and they won't tell you what is in it. They are only required to tell you if it contains one of the big 8 allergens.

Items like onion, garlic and MSG are often hidden in a natural flavoring listing. I tend to stay away from anything with "natural flavoring" due to my own allergies, my hedgehogs just get to benefit from it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
what about the thing in turkey that makes you sleepy? i've heard you aren't supposed to feed turkey to dogs for this reason. same for hedgies?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kalandra said:
That's just the thing, you have no way of knowing what that natural flavoring could be. Butterball themselves state it is a proprietary blend and they won't tell you what is in it. They are only required to tell you if it contains one of the big 8 allergens.

Items like onion, garlic and MSG are often hidden in a natural flavoring listing. I tend to stay away from anything with "natural flavoring" due to my own allergies, my hedgehogs just get to benefit from it.
Alright, definitely no turkey for my hedgies. Not worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
leannem said:
what about the thing in turkey that makes you sleepy? i've heard you aren't supposed to feed turkey to dogs for this reason. same for hedgies?
Really? I've never heard this before. Please tell me more

·
Registered
208 Posts
Tryptophan (sp??) is something found in turkey that is supposed to make you sleepy. I'm not really sure of all the details. My mom's just always told me to never feed the dogs turkey leftovers.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
leannem said:
Tryptophan (sp??) is something found in turkey that is supposed to make you sleepy. I'm not really sure of all the details. My mom's just always told me to never feed the dogs turkey leftovers.
I extensively looked this up tonight, since we've been feeding my 13 year old dog (he's on his last legs, won't eat much anymore so anything we can get him to eat is a miracle) white turkey meat for the past few days.

Most of the conclusions are that it's not the turkey that's bad for the dogs, it's the turkey skin. It's so fatty and greasy that it can easily cause pancreatitis. I assume the same would go for hedgies? Except in their case they are more sensitive to the salt, artificial flavourings as well.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
i watched a show that tested the theory about tryptophan and the conclusion was a person would have to eat pretty much an entire turkey to have any effect on them. The reason most people get tired after a turkey dinner is from overeating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts