Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Izzy for about three weeks and usually when I take her out to play she likes to run around or go to sleep. Today while exploring the couch she crawled into my sisters kleenex box and started burrowing into it. She's very happy in there crawling about in the layers and curling up. She hasn't chewed or eaten any of it. I'm just wondering if I should be replacing the kleenex with fabric or if kleenex is safe. It says on the toys list that newspaper and wrapping paper as well as paper towel is used. I just wanted to check first

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Kleenex box is fine, just change it when it's dirty. And cut off the plastic.

To make it even more fun, add in fleece strips ^_^ I wouldn't use actual kleenex though, too dusty and too easily chewed and swallowed. IMO

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Immortalia said:
Kleenex box is fine, just change it when it's dirty. And cut off the plastic.

To make it even more fun, add in fleece strips ^_^ I wouldn't use actual kleenex though, too dusty and too easily chewed and swallowed. IMO
i agree ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you, the box didn't come with any plastic in it, just a perforated card board hole. If I replace the kleenex with paper towel would that be alright? I think she just likes being able to dig up the layers. She has fleece in her cage already which she curls up in to sleep. I thought about putting some bedding in it but she's on liners and it would turn into a big mess plus I don't want to take a risk with it and have her ending up with mites. I think I may add it to her cage if the paper towel is alright. During playtime if I filled with with carefresh and she was supervised would that be a safe alternative?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Kleenex isn't going to hurt her unless she is actually eating it. A few tastes will pass right through her.

Make certain that the kleenex isn't the type with the lotion or scented and the cheaper stuff is more likely to harmlessly fall apart.

Many breeders, myself included, use toilet paper for the mom's in the nest box.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nancy said:
Many breeders, myself included, use toilet paper for the mom's in the nest box.
I'm just curious. :ugeek:
When you use toilet paper do you just roll off a bunch and put it in their nest box?
or do you tear it into the squares?
And is the toilet paper better to use then fleece or shavings for babies?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I tear it off at 3 or 4 square lengths. I use the cheapy stuff because it breaks up easier so they can rip it up if they want.

I have special blankies made for the moms and they have the babies under the blankie with toilet paper in the nest box and shavings in the rest of the cage. I like toilet paper in the nest box because it is softer than shavings, has no smell and is not dusty.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I see.
Thanks a lot. I haven't found anywhere that has said what people use in the nest box.
I think I'm gonna try this with my boy, he doesn't like fleece strips in his house he likes his blankies. but he likes to dig around so I'm gonna see if he likes this.

Thanks Nancy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts