Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. My hedgie Pringle is about 3.5-4 years old and last week he stopped eating. I took him to an emergency vet and after a day of testing they found a lump they're pretty sure is cancer in his GI tract. They told me if I wanted to do an ultrasound to get a better idea for what the lump is I wouldn't be able to get in for around a week and a half and it would cost at least $700 for that alone. After spending $850 the other day on testing and knowing I most likely won't be able to afford surgery if that's even an option, I'm not sure what to do.

It's now been a week since he's eaten by himself (I've been syringe feeding him oxbow critical care a few times a day since then but always give him the option of kibble) and he doesn't run on his wheel anymore. He's still rather alert when I hold him and doesn't seem to be in too much pain but I know I'm probably projecting on him because I don't want to have to put him down. I'm kind of at a loss, I feel horrible keeping him alive if he's suffering but I also feel horrible thinking about ending his life prematurely.

My plan for now is to continue syringe feeding for a little while longer and then reevaluate, I guess I'd just love some input if you've gone through something similar. Thanks y'all.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts