Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into getting a hedgehog and have seen that cat food is often recommended. I currently have a cat that eats Iams Proactive Health healthy senior. Would that be good to also feed a hedgehog?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not trust 100% ready-made feed. Still, a hedgehog needs insects, fresh vegetables and fruits in its diet. The hedgehog must receive part of the liquid from food.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,107 Posts
Iams is okay. There better quality cat foods that has a higher meat with lower plant based fillers which would be better for them.
You should also make a mix of 2 ideally different brands as it gives them a wider range of nutrients, it also gives you a buffer of a second food should one get recalled or a brand stops selling that food ect.

You should be feeding a mix of insects on top of the mix of cat biscuit.

Have a look at the beginners nutrition guide it gives you loads of information about what they need!

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,107 Posts
I would not trust 100% ready-made feed. Still, a hedgehog needs insects, fresh vegetables and fruits in its diet. The hedgehog must receive part of the liquid from food.
Hedgehogs have no ceacum they can't have huge amounts of fresh veg and fruit giving it every day is going to be to much.

In the wild they actually get all the veg and fruit already digested by the insects and other meat like ground nesting birds and baby mice.

Basically fresh fruit and veg isn't actually needed.

Fresh plain cooked meat though! Or wet meat a couple days a week is great for them!
With a good mix of insects as well
And 1 tbsp (about 15g) of biscuits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts