Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I noticed my hedgie is looking a little thin; his sides sink in a bit. I'm not totally sure how new this is as he doesn't unball a lot for me to see him walking around. He is eating fine, no loss in appetite. He is still drinking the same amount of water. There is no change in activity, he loves his wheel, but his poop has been a little inconsistent the last two weeks.

I had tried mixing in a new food, but he wasn’t eating much of it just picking out his old food, and right after I noticed he had a bit of green sticky poop. I got rid of the new food. I also had starting mixing in new bottled water as well. He is now back to regular food and water but every few days he still has some sticky green poop. Now all of it is, just an occasional small piece, the rest is normal colour and consistency. I unfortunately don’t have a scale yet it is on order so I haven’t been able to weigh him. Any thoughts? Is this something I should see the vet about? Thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think you should get a scale. You can get one at about 20$ at walmart or any "kitchen aplience" store. If the side are sunken in, it's not a good thing. Maybe he's a real runner and neeed more fat or mabe he's sick. Maybe you could post picture so we can help you more, but a vet visit wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
What kind of food are you feeding him? As there are foods out there where the hedgie can be eating a lot, but isn't getting any nutritional value at all, thus eating themselves thin.

Getting a bit of green poop with the addition of new food is normal. Over time, hedgie will get used to the new food and the poop will return to normal. Did you mix it in too quickly? When I start adding a new food, I start with adding only 5 pieces a day, and then increasing from there.

It's hard to determine how much weight he has lost already, as there is no scale. Even if you get a scale tomorrow, we wouldn't know how much he has lost. And as FiaSpice said, walmart has some cheap ones. I bought a digital kitchen scale with a plastic bowl included for less than $20 from walmart.

It's possible that your hedgie is a runner and needs food that is higher in fat.

But again, all we can do is make assumptions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts