Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm getting a hedgehog soon and even though I've been doing a lot of research, I haven't really seen a lot of people with heat lamps in their hedgehogs cage. I always read they need to be kept in an environment between 70 and 80 degrees, though, so I had planned on keeping my hedgehog's cage in a room with a space heater so that, if my parents want to turn the AC below that, I can still keep the room that the hedgehog is in warmer.
However, if a heat lamp is totally necessary, does anyone have any brand recommendations that are relatively inexpensive?

·
Administrator
3,594 Posts
No. It is only necessary to keep their living environment warm at all times. I have never used a heat lamp as a primary heat source. I prefer oil-filled space heaters, they provide a nice even temperature and work well for my hedgehogs' room.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Most hedgehogs do best a a temperature between 74-76. 70 is too low for most hedgehogs and especially air conditioned 70 is too low. Air conditioned air always feels colder than heated air at the same temperature.

I use CHE's for hedgehogs in quarantine, but the others have an oil filled heater in their room.

Both types of heating have their own advantages. For those with more than one hedgehog, especially if they have multiples, the oil filled space heater is a better option. Someone with only one or two hedgehogs, or isn't able to dedicate a room to the hedgehogs and the human doesn't like the room as warm as the hedgehog/s need, then the CHE is an ideal option. :smile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts