Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used hamsters bedding for my hedgie abt 2wks back. then i changed to shredded newspapers. however he seems to still have this problem and his quills drop quite a lot. wat should i do (he's bout 3mths old& i'm a newbie here). Thanks alot

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
How old is your hedgehog? If he's around 8 weeks, or 4-6 months, he may be quilling.

If he's older, then he may have two other problems. First could just be dry skin, because of winter and drier air. You can put flaxseed oil on his food to help with dry skin. If he seems to be scratching a lot, he could have mites. Mites call for a visit to the vet to get some kitten Revolution. Make sure, if you take him in for mites, that you do not let the vet give him Ivermectin. It's another mite treatment, but one that is easy to overdose the hedgehog with, resulting in death.

Also, I highly recommend changing the bedding to liners. Shredded newspaper isn't a great bedding, as it stays cold and wet after the hedgehog pees on it, and some newspaper inks can be toxic. Liners have a lot of benefits over other kinds of bedding. There's a list of beddings and their pros/cons here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55 If you search liners using the search feature, you'll find lots of posts on how people make them and what they use.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I agree with switching to liners. Wash them in a gentle detergent and rinse them in vinegar to ensure your hedgehog has no allergic reaction to them at all. He may be quilling but it could also be a reaction to the different beddings.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I do the same as mentioned above and use liners. They work great for me. They are reusable and inexpensive in the long run, no messy pieces of bedding on the floor when I take my hedgie out, no dust so they don't cause respiratory issues, easy to spot pee and poop to see if there is any health concerns, and the added benefit is they look nice :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts