Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted my first hedgie this past Sunday, his name is Loki, he's two years old, and he has already brought so much joy into our lives. However, Loki is from a family who got him as an impulse gift for their teenager, which resulted in him not receiving the love and attention he deserved. Loki was never handled much, and has been ignored for the majority of his life so far. He was brought to me with a poor quality cat food, a large cage with a poor wheel, no heating method, light or adequate liner/shavings for the cage. What he did have inside was a sparse amount of crushed newspaper.

We've ordered him a recommended hedgehog wheel and upgraded his food, and we're using a space heater until his heating pad comes in.
Despite where he came from, he's such a sweet, if very nervous boy. I've been handling him every evening, just holding him in my palms or in my lap to encourage him to get used to my scent. He huffs mostly, but he's just really scared right now. He enjoys having his fur right below his little ears rubbed, and he is making progress by uncurling from his ball to sniff around, and he enjoys shuffling around on my lap to check everything out. He will scare at the softest sound, and has grumpy moments where all he will do is curl up and huff all night.

I'm not rushing him into accepting us, I just want to do whatever I can to make him feel safe and secure, and to give him the love and time that he's missed out on for so long.

I would love any helpful tips that would help my lovely boy, Loki.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi! I adopted my first hedgie on Monday! We are also using a space heater, I like it as much as she does ^^. I'm glad you are finding the adoption as rewarding as I am. I'm sure Loki is much happier too!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't use a heating pad only - they're not recommended at all for the sole heating source because they don't do a great job of heating the air. It's also recommended to have them on only half the cage, which can cause more problems by either causing the hedgehog to stay in bed where it's warm, or by causing a hibernation attempt when they go from the warm side to the cooler side. If you don't want to stick with using the space heater, it'd be best to use a ceramic heat emitter set up to heat just the cage. There's more information about CHEs here - http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...-heating-your-hedgehog-s-cage-simplified.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice, this helped a lot :)
Loki is really beginning to come around too. He's a very sweet boy and Im so lucky to have him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't use a heating pad only - they're not recommended at all for the sole heating source because they don't do a great job of heating the air. It's also recommended to have them on only half the cage, which can cause more problems by either causing the hedgehog to stay in bed where it's warm, or by causing a hibernation attempt when they go from the warm side to the cooler side. If you don't want to stick with using the space heater, it'd be best to use a ceramic heat emitter set up to heat just the cage. There's more information about CHEs here - http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...-heating-your-hedgehog-s-cage-simplified.html
I use a CHE I got at petsmart with a cheap clamp lamp from Lowe's. It works great and keeps his cage warm but does not over heat it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts