1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Β·
Registered
Wilbur πŸ¦” Male African Pygmy Hedgehog 🐾 born Spring 2020 🌸 ESA 🌟
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Rodent Whiskers

Eye Carnivore Felidae Rodent Dog breed

I've been on hedgehog central for a while now (almost a year I think?) But I haven't introduced me or my hedgehog!

Eye Carnivore Felidae Rodent Dog breed
Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Rodent Whiskers

This is Wilbur, a male African Pygmy Hedgehog born in Spring 2020! He's a very curious little guy and prefers exploration over anything else, either trying to be mischievous and sneaky or sitting down and just enjoying the view.

I got him while still living with my parents (or technically they got him and he ended up becoming mine) and it took a long time to bond! Almost A YEAR!!!! 😱

Since then he has become my Emotional Support Animal and we have moved across country for college to study Zoology!
The move was a big change and he became very stressed in the last few weeks before the move (I think because of all the changes and my stress) and has a bit of quill loss because of it 😞 and had a hibernation attempt as well.

But he has made a full recovery and now that we've moved we are going to the vet often for wellness checks! πŸ₯³

Some fun facts:
  • he needs a curtain over his litter box or he won't use it! (Privacy 🀭)
  • he's currently on a diet! (633 g chunky!!)🍽
  • he hates the sound of people on the phone using earbuds!πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸŽ§
  • he (of course) loves bugs but has REALLY bad aim! (If they crawl underneath him he gets confused and gives up)πŸͺ³
  • he's not photogenic! Too much sniffing!!πŸ“Έ
  • he loves baths and traveling! πŸšΏπŸš—
  • he'll stare at me when he wants something (usually bathroom, food, or done with cuddles)πŸ₯Ί

Β·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello Wilbur! :love:He sounds like a fun little guy, he's also really cute! Lol, my Ragnar stomps on poor bugs with his feet accidentally and won't eat them when it happens... and he loves baths?! Mine hates them, but I've found out that most hedgies do :LOL:

I gather that you're looking after him very well! 633 g is not necessarily too much, since there are small and big hedgehogs too. If he can ball up and looks like a pear from above, he's fine. But you can reduce mealworms and percentage of fat in his diet.

By the way, I am a biologist too :D I specialized in micro/cell biology. What area of research do you find most attractitve (etology, ornitology, entomology, marine biology etc.)?

Β·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Wilbur! :love:He sounds like a fun little guy, he's also really cute! Lol, my Ragnar stomps on poor bugs with his feet accidentally and won't eat them when it happens... and he loves baths?! Mine hates them, but I've found out that most hedgies do :LOL:

I gather that you're looking after him very well! 633 g is not necessarily too much, since there are small and big hedgehogs too. If he can ball up and looks like a pear from above, he's fine. But you can reduce mealworms and percentage of fat in his diet.

By the way, I am a biologist too :D I specialized in micro/cell biology. What area of research do you find most attractitve (etology, ornitology, entomology, marine biology etc.)?
Awww so cute!! Wilbur sometimes does the same, especially if he's really in a hunting mood lol
He does love baths!!! But only if I wake him up before I prep the bath so he's fully awake! It was an odd discovery because his previous owner swore he hated them!
As for his weight, the main problem was that he gained weight super quickly! Because he was adjusting to a new environment (and new sounds bc of a roommate and people walking in the dorm halls) he refused to use his wheel for a few weeks and would only eat then go back to sleep! But now he's become more adjusted and both losing weight and gaining muscle again!

That is so cool!! I've always struggled with the smaller stuff so cell and microbiology is intimidating for me lol but I'm really fascinated by mammology and animal behavior! There's still so much to be discovered!

Β·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think sweet Wilbur is very photogenic! Good news that he is settling in too! His TOOFERS are adorable......................what a smile!!
Why thank you!! He'd probably be delighted to hear that! πŸ₯°
Yes! I had gotten some live mealworms (a rare treat, live feeding is banned at my school. Don't tell them!) from work and he was on the hunt! πŸ§›

Β·
Registered
165 Posts
Then the problem is resolved, hopefully! He needed to adjust as you say :)

Awesome, animal behavior was also one of my favorite subjects! I wish you much fun with your hedgie and with your studies <3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts