Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing Snuffles (Pokey) Greyson III

I have only just joined the forum here, but we acquired our hedgehog last September.

In late Aug we were at a reptile show, looking at turtles when my girl friend fell in love with a baby hedgehog. Rather than making an impulse purchase at the show we went home and over the next couple of weeks did our research, found a local breeder and decided to purchase Greyson.

Greyson is a Silver/Charcoal Snowflake. He was born July 29, 2011. Without further ado, Lady and Gentlemen, may I present Snuffles (Pokey) Greyson III.

Greyson weighs in at 227 grams - 7 weeks old.

You best take good care of me -- I will be watching.

OK... Where's the food around here?

Greyson's first bath

Greyson's Home

Greyson settles in to watch TV.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Welcome to HHC! Snuffles is absolutely adorable, I love your pictures! :D

However, I just wanted to point out a few things I noticed about your cage...You might want to put some walls up on the ramp, as well as the second level. Hedgehogs are notorious for walking off edges and even a small fall can seriously injure him. There are some that seem to realize how to stop when they get to an edge, but it's usually better to be safe than sorry - one user had a hedgehog that fell a couple inches, fractured a leg, and then later died from a blood clot caused by the broken leg. :(

Also, the wheel and hut aren't really the safest either, unfortunately. The hut could easily poke his eye if he's not being careful while running around and that and the bedding could both harbor and introduce mites to him. The wheel has slits in it and can catch nails and rip them off, and several members have had the bolt come loose, making the wheel fall off its stand. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like you have a litterbox under the wheel, with cat litter? Cat litter (or any small particles, really) can get caught in penises and lead to huge issues.

I apologize if the comments are rather unsolicited, but your little boy is so cute that I'd hate to see him get hurt! There's so much wrong information out there on hedgehogs that it's really easy to end up with information that's just a bit off, or even actively harmful, unfortunately. ><

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Stunning! :D Welcome to the forum! :) Lilysmommy is correct about all those things, she's such a awesome member here always helping in as nice a way as possible. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lilysmommy said:
Welcome to HHC! Snuffles is absolutely adorable, I love your pictures! :D

However, ...<
Thank you for your advice. The reason that I joined this forum is to learn. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts