Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just joined the forums and am a new Hedgehog owner as well. I just got Mr. Squishy this past Saturday rather unexpectedly. I have been doing months of research as I had planned on getting one eventually, but came across him at a Reptile Expo and just couldn't resist him....we hit it off right away....he would only un-curl for me, and he was the smallest in the bunch.

This brings me to some questions.......I was told he was approximately 4 months old.....I seriously doubt it. His belly fur is rather sparse and he weighs 124 g.

I have been desperately looking for some sort of growth chart to see if I could at least estimate his age on my own. If anyone knows of one, please give me a link to it.

This is my Mr. Squishy!!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome to HHC!

Oh my goodness he is skinny! IMO he looks under 12 weeks. Poor guy, I'm glad you took him in. What are you feeding him in that bowl? Looks like nothing I have ever seen... :lol:

Good luck with him! I would feed him a high fat diet for a while to put some weight on. With the cold weather, he would really benefit (not saying he should ever be cold, but the shorter days can still affect them like that).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is eating a mix of 2 different Hedgehog foods along with some mealworms. His other dish has veggies & fruits. I also have Sugargliders, would some of their HPW do him good or harm? The food looks odd because I was told it should be moistened since he was so young. Any and ALL advice is welcome folks!!!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
My advice would be to read the stickies in the other sections, especially Diet and Nutrition. Commercial hedgehog food is actually very very bad for them. ;)

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
I would slowly switch him over to something like Royal Canine Babycat 34...its what I feed to my babies when they are weaned. He should be able to eat it dry as its small pieces and will give him extra fat to help him grow. Commericial hedgehog food it not good for our hedgies as it was developed for european hedgehogs and is mostly grain based which is hard for them to digest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nikki said:
I would slowly switch him over to something like Royal Canine Babycat 34...its what I feed to my babies when they are weaned. He should be able to eat it dry as its small pieces and will give him extra fat to help him grow. Commericial hedgehog food it not good for our hedgies as it was developed for european hedgehogs and is mostly grain based which is hard for them to digest.
Thank you all SO much for the advice! I read the Diet & Nutrition posts and I got some Blue Buffalo Kitten food (it's smaller bits), and will be adding it to his current mix while gradually decreasing the amount of the Hedgehog formulas and increasing the kitten food ratios.
I added some of the kitten food last night and a few more mealies than usual and he CHOWED!!

I have to say, it is Wonderful to have folks who have experience to go to when you need advice or information! Again, THANK YOU ALL!!!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Reptile people like to own exotics, so a lot of people that breed feeder mice/rats will breed other exotic animals for the heck of it. It's very sad. I'm sure there are a few out there that actually care about the hedgies, but they are hard to find. No responsible breeder would sell at an expo where someone is going to buy a hedgie on impulse alone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts