Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a question that I'm hoping you can help me out with. We have one and half year old hedgehog and we're looking to possibly introduce a new critter into our home, specifically a guinea pig. Now obviously they wouldn't be in the same kennel or anything. What were worried about is if the new smell on us will be too much stress for our hedgehog or how it might affect him. Just wondering if you have any insight or experiences with this.

· Registered
176 Posts
I actually had a very similar scenario! My guinea pigs and hedgehog were housed in the same room, but across from each other and in different habitats. I didn't notice any major changes in my hedgie's behaviour. In fact, the first night I had the pigs there, they took her starting to wheel as a sign that it was safe to explore! Adorable lol. One thing I did have to watch out for though was making sure to keep the dust from the hay and general mess as absolutely minimal as possible, both for the pigs and for the hedgie. Daily sweepings and a special hayrack for the pigs were a must.
Make sure you get two guinea pigs, they need a buddy and a hedgehog unfortunately is not a good friend for them lol also make sure you don't neglect your hedgie!! They might be even more stressed out and need the familiarity of their routine (holding time, feeding time, cage cleans, etc.)
Overall though they were all adorable and well worth the extra work. Hoping it is the same for you!! Good luck :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts