Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be traveling with Charley sooner rather than later. :(

My husband's work situation has deteriorated and he's essentially being railroaded out of his job >_< I should have at least 45 days to get all health certificates for the animals squared away, but it's crunch time with 0 warning and I'm scared I might not be able to bring Charley home.

Any hedgie owners in the US who have brought a hedgie into the United States, were there any special health forms required, or the standard ones issued for dogs and cats?

I'm getting in touch with the base vet ASAP to find out and get the ball rolling, but I really need something to ease my mind. It's breaking my heart to think that I either won't be able to get him home with me because of import/export regulations or because there won't be enough time for paperwork, or a quarantine....

~Katie

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm so glad you asked this question Alastrina, I was wondering the same thing except in reverse.. I wanted to bring my hedgehog up to Canada in the summer maybe.. but I wasn't sure what that would even involve.. I mean, I feel that people probably bring them across the border occasionally for conventions and meetups and such right? It must be possible...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking there has to be a way, otherwise how would they come across the border between the US and Canada?

It's not so much the importation I'm worried about, it's the exportation from Germany... I have no idea what the German laws are regarding exporting animals. Cats and dogs come and go with regularity because many military families here bring their pets over and then leave with them, but because a hedgie is an exotic animal, there might be different rules.

Charley was born here, so I'm not sure if he would need a "passport" like our dog has (looks like a glorified shot record) or what since hedgies don't need to be vaccinated like dogs and cats...

So many questions, so little time! The fact that the base vet hardly ever answers their phone and I'll have to physically go up there isn't helping matters much either, but they are by far and again more knowledgeable of the American side of things. I have a local German vet as well, so I may have to go to both to get the whole picture.

Good thing it's tax time! ^_^

~Katie

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
This sounds so stressful for you I wish I could help but I don't know anything about traveling with a hedgehog. Good luck with everything.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If your husband is in the military, I've heard it is so much easier to bring them back than for the average person.

You will have to check with the US and see what they allow in from countries other than Canada. US to Canada and visa versa is fairly easy because when you think about it, hedgie could walk across the border if we set them down. :lol: There really isn't anything that US hedgies would have that Canadians wouldn't. Coming from Europe is a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
you don't need anything from CITIES for aph, but contact USDA, the port of departure, and the port of entry. so basically call the airports and ask to speak with their vet office.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Kristina and Nancy for the info, and all for their positive thoughts ^_^

Really glad we have free calling to the US, looks like I'm going to be using it quite a bit in the next few weeks.

Yes, My husband is in the military, and if my experience getting out two cats over here is anything to go by, the process is fairly smooth, just expensive.

According to the website and staff the German vet I have gone to for my dog and cats works with small animals and exotics, I'm not sure if the on post vet does, hedgies not exactly being a common pet to begin with and likely even less over here.

I have the links to the USDA websites and paperwork I saved back when I thought we would be moving last year, so I'll just go hunt those down and get to calling and e-mailing shortly next week.

As for accommodations, what size crate is the minimum for a hedgie? There are a variety of sizes available where I can purchase one that's airline approved, I just don't know which one he would need. I'm going to be calling the major airlines we might be using and seeing what their in-cabin pet policies are, but I want to plan as though he'll be flying with the rest of the animals in the cargo area.

I'm going to need to order a snugglesafe disc, though I have no idea where to get one, and how long the heat lasts... Our flight to Frankfurt Germany from Atlanta Georgia was about 9-10 hours... And we'll be traveling in the winter/early spring, so it's likely to be chilly though not snowing.

I wish they'd given us more time honestly, but if wishes were fishes we'd all be up to our ears in sushi ^_^

~Katie

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Katie, why don't you contact Jennifer Crespo re crates? [email protected]

she's supposed to be the pro when it comes to flying hedgies.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankies ^_^

I'll take all the advice I can get!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone ever heard of a hedgie being microchipped?

I'm getting a sense that the transport/travel of hedgehogs is much like that of cats as far as the carrier and paperwork is concerned... and most of the information I'm finding mentions an animal needing a chip or a legible tattoo...

On the plus side I think I've found the perfect travel carrier for Charley, it should fit nicely underneath an airplane seat and still be adequate for travel in cargo as well.

~Katie

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Alastrina said:

I'm getting a sense that the transport/travel of hedgehogs is much like that of cats as far as the carrier and paperwork is concerned... and most of the information I'm finding mentions an animal needing a chip or a legible tattoo...

On the plus side I think I've found the perfect travel carrier for Charley, it should fit nicely underneath an airplane seat and still be adequate for travel in cargo as well.

~Katie
Yes I have. Way back when I first started breeding there were a few breeders thinking of using microchips to identify their babies. That I know of, it never happened or perhaps they tried and it didn't work.

With a hedgehog, my concern would be the chip migrating with the way they ball up. I can ask a few people.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Nancy, I would appreciate it very much. :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Alastrina said:
nope, but maybe that's just me. one of my dogs isn't microchipped and i didn't get a sense that it's mandatory even for dogs.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Alastrina said:
pm me your email address and I'll forward what I found out on to you.

Yes, apparently hedgehogs can be micro-chipped same as other small animals.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nancy,

Thank you! It eases my mind a bit knowing it's been done with success before, so if that's a route I have to take I know my little guy won't be the first or some kind of guinea pig.

I'll have to read the info you're sending, but wanted to ask:

If one does microchip a hedgie...where does the chip go?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Nancy said:
Alastrina said:

may i have this info too?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
fracturedcircle said:
Nancy said:
Alastrina said:

may i have this info too?
Send me your email addy. I did a computer format last week and managed to save everything but my address book. Never even thought about it. :lol:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oi. Now my husband's superiors are retracting their statements that they're booting us out and we don't know which way's up or down.

I'm still going to take everyone in to the vet for their shots and checkups over the next few months, and will let you all know what the on-base vet says about travel arrangements for Charley.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bad news! Now we're back on for the move! :evil:

Good news too though, the on base vet will see Charley for a wellness visit and can give him a health certificate to fly home with me to the US. All for far less money than I'd expected, which is always a plus. Now all I need to know is which airline we're going to fly on so I can make his travel arrangements for cabin or cargo.

I posted a wanted ad in the classifieds section for a Snuggle Safe disc, I really want to put one in his crate regardless, though he'll definitely need one if he goes in cargo. Planes and their cargo areas might be climate controlled, but that could mean 60 degrees, and that's too cold.

I found one on ebay from the UK, but I still don't know if it would ship in time.

*sigh*

So good and bad news... :?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I wrote to Stasi Kanyuck (Terrapin Hedgehogs) who I'd mentioned to you had written an article many years ago about micro-chipping. She hasn't replied yet so it's doubtful she will. :roll:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts