Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So nobody panic, I have not attempted any breeding with my hogs. BUT I am interested in becoming a hedgehog breeder and am looking to get all the facts and possibly find a mentor in hedgehog breeding. In short, I kind of want to do this because caring for animals is something that takes a lot of stress away from me and I have a lot of time for being chronically ill(autoimmune shizz.) I'm aware I'll likely need to save quite a bit of money to get pedigreed hedgehogs, their equipment, the licensure, and have a vet fund set aside. Currently I only have two hedgehogs that are of pet quality only and thus they won't be bred, but are very well loved regardless.

I understand a hedgehog must be under a year but over 6 months to breed for the first time as a female and all the basics behind that. What I'm looking for is breeders' personal experience in what it was like getting started, how much exactly I should aim to save up and have for back up, and where I can possibly find a mentor to learn the hedgehog breeding trade safely (I'm in CO.) What was it like gettings a license, how much did that cost, do you prefer hedgehog insurance to a vet fund etc. Hit me with the info!:)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts