Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new on this board, and I'd like everyone's opinion on feeding my boy, Beck.
Beck is two years old now, and I've had him since he was a baby. All his life, I fed him 8 in 1 ultrablend select with other fruit and veggie treats. Then, in August I switched him (gradually) onto Sunseed hedgehog diet, because I thought the ingredients and nutrients seemed better. However, he didn't seem too thrilled with it, and his poops got dark, tarry, and strong smelling (and massive amounts). He kind of got sick and I was really worried about him for a while (he was cold and lethargic, huffy, and just non-respondent-- and the room he's in isn't cold). He came down with mites because he was weak I think. So I treated the mites, and switched him back to his old food, and I also got him some dried insects.
Since I've started feeding him the dried insects, he's perkier and happier than he's EVER been, even before I switched his food. Also, since I've switched him back to his old food, he's been having trouble chewing it. It's in larger pellets than the Sunseed, and it gets worked into a paste all around his mouth.
I find I've been feeding him increasingly more insects, and just a few kibbles every day. To what extent is this okay? I know hedgies ARE naturally insectivores, but I worry that he might be missing out on the additional vitamins in his kibbles. He gets fresh fruits and veggies, as well as beans.
So, for example, if he eats 6 dried crickets, 5 dried meal worms, and 3-4 pieces of kibble, is that sufficient? Thanks!

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that seems like a lot of food! My boy is pretty little (they weighed him at the vet and said he was 0.16-- not sure if it's lbs or kilos lol! But he's definitely on the SMALL side for a hedgie) The vet said his weight was good for his build though. How do insects stack up calorie wise compared to kibble? Like, if he were to live on JUST insects, how many should he have? Also, I've read that too many mealworms are too fatty-- should I feed more crickets than meal worms? Or is it okay for him to have 5 or 6 mealies a day?

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try and get some recent photos of him up, but honestly, he's not malnourished weight-wise. Maybe I misunderstood the vet when she said his weight, or maybe that number was something else entirely. He's round though, no sunken sides, and he doesn't feel ribby under his belly. His tummy is usually soft and is either flat or pushing out just a bit. He's got lots of energy, and his eyes are always bright and clear... he's very inquisitive and friendly, and I don't think he'd be as energetic as he is if he was really malnourished..

Also, the insect development has only been for the past week or so-- all his life before that he's lived soley on kibble and veggie treats. And he's still eating 7 or 8 kibbles in addition to the insects, I was just wondering if that's okay since he seems to prefer them and have an easier time eating the insects than the kibbles.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so sorry to scare everyone with the .16 kilo thing-- I checked in at the vet, and he's o.455 kilo, or just under a pound. Maybe the .16 had to do with his Revolution dosage? Or maybe I totally misheard the vet, I dunno.

When I look at him from above, he's a very slight () shape-- not a lot, but his sides definitely are not caved in. He's got a runner build. I'm always making fun of his freakishly long legs. ^^ I'll try to get pictures up when I get to my home computer in a few weeks.

I'll try wetting his food to see if he can chew it better. The vet noted that he does have a small underbite, but not enough that it should seriously impede his chewing.

I guess my main question was since he seems to prefer the insects and find it easier, to what extent should I indulge him? Obviously, I realize he needs some kibble, but is it okay if a large portion of his calories come from insects and other treats (beans, tuna, fruits and veggies)? Thanks for all your input, guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.