Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending on where you look or who you ask, you will get a different answer.

So are hedgehogs insectivores or omnivores.

Just for clarification, insectivores eat MOSTLY insects while omnivores eat animal meat, plants, fruit, and insects.

· Premium Member
12,071 Posts
I tend to describe them as insectivorous omnivores. We don't know a lot of information about their specific diet, but we do know they eat mostly insects, but also other invertebrates (worms), fruit, eggs, meat, and I believe fungi as well. I think that's too much variety to be considered a strict insectivore (think insectivorous bats, anteaters, etc.). But I do think the majority of their diet is likely insects & invertebrates, especially going by their teeth (I forget the specific term, but their tooth shape & how they chew is common with insectivorous animals, and adapted for crushing exoskeletons).

· Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears by checking information on African hedgehogs, they are omnivores, with a strong tendency towards insectivore.
It's perfectly logical when you think about it. People are omnivores, some have a tendency toward herbivore while some go closer to carnivore diets.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
When people ask me "what do they eat" I'll tell them that they are creatures of opportunity. I tell them that they largely eat bugs, but will eat other things that they come across. I also tell them that I've heard them described as spiky raccoons. I get to avoid labels that way.

· Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spikey raccoons, I like that. Unfortunately around here that wouldn't win them any popularity contests. Pretty rural and most people have I lost something to them.
Last year, it was chickens and turkeys. Just the heads. I think the raccoon was a zombie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.