Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be getting a hedgie soon, and I know that insects are super important to have in their diet. However, the only insects available anywhere near me are dead ones, either canned or dried (I will be purchasing the canned ones). This means that if my hedgie is picky with her insects and doesn't want to eat canned ones, I won't have anywhere to purchase her live ones. The two pet stores near me are an extremely small local pet shop and a Petco, but the Petco is also small compared to most and doesn't sell live insects for some reason, even to reptile owners. The local pet shop does sell live insects, but they are in extremely limited quantities and are astronomically expensive (mealworms are almost $2.50 apiece, and other insect types only get more expensive from there. They may also have about 5 of any insect in stock at any time). As a result, my future hedgie has to eat canned insects. If she is picky with them, is there a way for me to convince her to eat canned ones?

BTW, ordering insects online is not an option, per request from my mom

·
Registered
815 Posts
How about farming your own insects? I started a superworm farm with only 5 beetles! They produced over 500 larvae in like a couple months! It's not too difficult to do and pretty low maintenance. There's a guide on here if it is something you can and want to try.

Otherwise canned insects are ok. I use them as well as live. My boy eats both. I think they generally either like insects of any kind/form or they don't. If she doesn't seem interested at first, try different ways to offer it (during bonding time, in a food dish, hidden in her cage to forage overnight). Also keep trying at least 20x before deciding she doesn't like them as they can change their minds after a while and then be hooked on them :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about farming your own insects? I started a superworm farm with only 5 beetles! They produced over 500 larvae in like a couple months! It's not too difficult to do and pretty low maintenance. There's a guide on here if it is something you can and want to try.

Otherwise canned insects are ok. I use them as well as live. My boy eats both. I think they generally either like insects of any kind/form or they don't. If she doesn't seem interested at first, try different ways to offer it (during bonding time, in a food dish, hidden in her cage to forage overnight). Also keep trying at least 20x before deciding she doesn't like them as they can change their minds after a while and then be hooked on them :)
I can definitely try that! And I have considered farming, but I am extremely grossed out by larvae and could not handle that. The adult insects are fine, they aren't gross to me at all, so I can handle insect feeding, I just have to feed them as adults or at least older than larvae, without seeing the larvae at all. Plus, I have two very curious cats, and an insect farm would be on the floor before I can turn around. XD

·
Registered
815 Posts
Trust me I can be pretty squirmish when it comes to some insects, as long as they are in a secure container I can handle them and use tweezers to pick up the worms (larvae). You become quickly desensitise to them. The pupae are pretty freaky (the alien looking stage!) especially when they are touched and vibrate >< but you don't have to do anything with them tbh, just wait for them to turn into beetles (they do make a good foraging treat though as they can't escape!)

So the larvae is what is commonly referred to as mealworms or superworms (it's the worm stage of their life cycle). If you can't handle them live then you can freeze off once they've been gut loaded. But you'll have to buy them from the store like this and then let some pupate and turn into beetles to then start your farm :)

In terms of container, I use plastic containers designed for catching beetles/insects (it's a big hobby out here for kids and such). Not sure if you could get something like that. They'd be cat proof for sure :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I second Yukidama's statement. I really hate bugs and especially worms. I was super grossed out by having live mealworms and crickets in my place but I've done almost a complete 180 after dealing them with a few months now. I can now touch them without freaking out and I actually have come to think they are kinda cute lol! It's like having another pet to take care of...but then y'know...feeding them to my hedgehog lol!

So yes, I do think you will become desensitized to them after a while.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trust me I can be pretty squirmish when it comes to some insects, as long as they are in a secure container I can handle them and use tweezers to pick up the worms (larvae). You become quickly desensitise to them. The pupae are pretty freaky (the alien looking stage!) especially when they are touched and vibrate >< but you don't have to do anything with them tbh, just wait for them to turn into beetles (they do make a good foraging treat though as they can't escape!)

So the larvae is what is commonly referred to as mealworms or superworms (it's the worm stage of their life cycle). If you can't handle them live then you can freeze off once they've been gut loaded. But you'll have to buy them from the store like this and then let some pupate and turn into beetles to then start your farm :)

In terms of container, I use plastic containers designed for catching beetles/insects (it's a big hobby out here for kids and such). Not sure if you could get something like that. They'd be cat proof for sure :)
Oh, I didn't know that! Yeah, I'm grossed out by the weird squirmy white alien stage, not the mealworm/superworm stage!

And maybe I can convince my mom that a farm would be a money-saving option. She may be against it, in which case it will have to be canned-only, but if I can convince her I'd be willing to try. I mean, I'll probably go the canned route to start with, just to see if she'll eat those for the sake of convenience since it would be much easier for me to just get canned insects rather than raise my own. However, if that doesn't work no matter what I try, I can definitely attempt a farm myself. And I hadn't thought of freezing them afterward! That's a good idea, that's probably what I would do if it comes down to farming. Thanks for the advice!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts