Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always loved Hedgehogs and wished to have one, but as long as I could remember, worms were a must.
Well now my kids are interested in Hedgies and I am starting my research again only ro find maybe they can do without?

I have a phobia of worms/grubs/caterpillar and 100% cannot have them in the house. Literally nightmares. I can't even stomach leaving the house on some rainy days due to my concerns and have only hydroponic gardens for my veggies.. 馃槄

But crickets, beetles, roaches, whatever- no problem.

Now, if they are a must in a hedgehog's diet, I will just have to move on and admire from the internet. But if there is an alternative feeding routine that will still keep a hedgehog happy and healthy, I am all ears!

We are very well equipped otherwise to provide a great home.. but that part of the diet is just too hard for me.

Registered
Worms are not a must, though hedgehogs love them.

You can still have a happy healthy hog with roaches, crickets, locusts & even woodlice/isopods!

Do keep in mind that they have to be live bugs. You can purchase them live, gut feed them, and then put them in your freezer if you鈥檇 prefer - but you have to purchase them live for their optimal nutritional value (as opposed to dried or out of a can).

If you鈥檙e okay with that, then you can totally have a hedgehog without the need for worms. :)

Registered
Worms are not a must, though hedgehogs love them.

You can still have a happy healthy hog with roaches, crickets, locusts & even woodlice/isopods!

Do keep in mind that they have to be live bugs. You can purchase them live, gut feed them, and then put them in your freezer if you鈥檇 prefer - but you have to purchase them live for their optimal nutritional value (as opposed to dried or out of a can).

If you鈥檙e okay with that, then you can totally have a hedgehog without the need for worms. :)
Do hedgies absolutely NEED bugs or not

1 - 5 of 5 Posts