Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My hedgehog escaped it's cage (I don't know how- but I bought a new cage - even before I found her). When I finally was able to find her she had a horrible wound. I can't say exactly where she's bleeding because her blood has spread, but I think it's her stomach, and possibly her head and/or her foot. She's rolled up into a ball, but her back two legs stick out and so does her rump.
I live in Asia and there isn't any vet to treat her. I don't know what to do! I put her in a container with a towel and a hot water bottle to keep her warm. But I'm afraid to pick her up and move her (she's only moving a little) because I don't want to hurt her. (That's why I haven't cleaned her) I don't think she's still bleeding.

Please help!!!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
My suggestion is find a vet that treats small animals, exotics, or possibly even willing to see her.
Find out if she is still bleeding and if so from where. That in itself might change the level of urgency in getting her medical attention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My suggestion is find a vet that treats small animals, exotics, or possibly even willing to see her.
Find out if she is still bleeding and if so from where. That in itself might change the level of urgency in getting her medical attention.
I'm going to try to find a vet tomorrow. My brother looked and looked for one, but it's late in the evening and everyone is closed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's doing much better this morning. Her legs are working great! The bleeding was contributed to just a small injury on her stomach. Her head is fine. She's active, eating, and as feisty as ever.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I would still take her to the vet to be checked out. Hedgehogs are VERY good at hiding injuries - one person on here had a hedgie who took a short fall. Acted totally normal afterwards for a week, eating, drinking, and even running on his wheel. Towards the end of the week she noticed he was limping slightly & took him in. He'd dislocated his hip & was still acting & running normally on it for almost a week. Please take her in, just in case. It's worth it to be totally sure she's fine rather than have her suddenly go downhill again when you can't get her in & possibly lose her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts