Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first pair of hedgehogs yesterday. They have already had 1 litter together and the lady said Priscilla could be due at anytime for a second litter. I need to take her and Phillip to the vet because their feet are swollen and have scabs, some toenails are black&green, while others have scabs in their place, so I think the nail is ripped out or ingrown. I am very concerned and want them treated before the next litter arrives. Does anyone know the price range I should be looking at? And if anyone has had this problem, what was the outcome?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Every vet is different, but it sounds like there could be a serious infection so they definitely need to go. Call your vet and ask for a quote when you make an appointment.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Agreed with Abbys, it's hard to give any kind of estimate since it can vary so widely. As far as treatment, I would guess you'll end up getting at least antibiotics, maybe an anti-inflammatory too. Plus the cost of the appointment. Hopefully the feet aren't so bad that antibiotics can't take care of it.

You may want to see if any of the breeders have advice/opinions on what to do if the babies arrive while you're still doing medication/treatment on mom. Personally (and as far as I've seen breeders say on here, but I don't want to assume their answers in this case), mom's health is most important, so it'd probably be best to keep treating her even if the babies come. But I'm not a breeder and don't plan to be, so like I said, get some answers from our experienced breeders - they'd have the best advice. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mom's health is the most important. If you end up having to do antibiotics or some other medication, I can't say whether or not that would affect the babies negatively, that's a question for your vet, but taking mom out 1 to 2 times a day could result in killing the litter. However if you don't treat an infection she could lose the foot, the leg, her life, she can have other litters, the foot... much more important.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wow - I am SHOCKED that anyone would sell or breed poor hedgies in this condition. I have to warn you that there is a very low chance of Priscilla thriving as a mother right now, if she is even carrying any babies at this point. She is very lucky to have gotten into hands that will make her the number one priority! It sounds like she will need antibiotics and you will need to help her keep her feet clean, I would ask your vet about supplying her with a wheel at this time.
Have you gotten them to the vet yet?
Sadly if babies do come you are going to have to force yourself to put mom first and continue treatment. Typical advice is to leave mom and babies alone other than food and water changes for two weeks, and not clean the cage until babies are weaned. This could be incredibly dangerous for a little one fighting off infection like it sounds like your mom will be doing.
Also, are mom and dad separated?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts