Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Yesterday we noticed Quill's penile sheath was a little inflammed. I took him to the vet this morning and she did an X-Ray, likely no urinary tract stones. Everything else looks normal. Doctor prescribed sulfa-trimeth 0.2cc 2 times a day. Urine and feces all look normal.

I will attach pictures. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Melissa

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding Nikki! She tried to touch it as much as she could, but he wouldn't let he touch it a whole lot. If the medicine doesn't clear it up she said she would have to put him under anesthesia to get a really good look.

I was wondering if it could be part of a pine pellet. I only use them in Quill's cage when I go out of town, so very rarely. Otherwise I use a cermanic plate under the wheel and clean it daily. I was out of town last weekend and he had the pine pellets in the cage on Friday and Saturday night. Sunday we discovered the inflamation.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm a fairly new owner with a 7.5 month old boy, so maybe other people with more experience might have better ideas but could it be that he scratched himself or too much boy time? ><

My boy's bits have looked similar before after I noticed some bleeding from either after scratching/boytime and once in urine but it looks normal the following day and I haven't seen anymore blood after urinating thankfully. Have you noticed any blood and how old is he, as I guess if he's older you'll be more familiar with his 'boy habits!' etc.

I use yesterday news in his litter tray, I'm not sure what pine pellets are like to use but I believe YNs is a safe option? :)

Hope he recovers soon <3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Yukidama's mama,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is so nice to have this forum to ask questions and share information.

Quill is 3 years and about 4 months old. He does like to have "boy time", we catch him probably twice a week. Not sure if that is normal for other hedgehogs, but it is for him. His urine looks normal, no blood, same color as always.

That is a good idea! I will try yesterdays paper. We got some thin brown paper shavings, but it just kept sticking to his feet, which lead to foot baths, and you could tell he hated it. So now we generally just have a white ceramic square shaped dinner plate under his wheel. It seems to work and we it has been a great way to check his urine this week to make sure everything looks normal.

I gave him his morning dose of medicine this morning and thankfully it is looking a little better.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hey, sorry for not replying sooner!
No problem at all, I'm always asking questions on here, so only fair to try and help back if I can :)

Ah ok, I guess you're pretty familiar with him and his boy habits then being an older boy ;) ~ wow my little dude is at it like every night lol (I think!), normally as soon as he stands up from lying down/sleeping it will happen, whether he'll be in his cage when I wake him up or sitting on my lap haha >.<. I've only had him 3 months so I'm still learning what exactly it is he is doing, from reading through others' comments it sounds like 'boy time' attempts but he doesn't always go through with it exactly and it comes on suddenly and like uncontrollably(?), like he has no control (his head and behind go into this seizure kind of thing (like he's about to sneeze) and then if he fully goes for it he'll do the cat curl thing and then fall onto his side and be like temporary paralysed/do his thing curled in a ball?!) I was so worried the first few times seeing him do it and thought something was wrong with him >< but he's completely normal not long after, and what I've read I think (and hope) this is completely normal boy time?! Please tell me this is normal?? :D (or anyone else reading this if your hedge does exactly the same, please comment to put my mind at rest, thanks! :) )

Glad his urine is normal and no sign of blood. Yep give yesterday news a try that will avoid getting messy feet from bedding (will just have poop feed instead from the wheel >.< lol). Might need to use a tray to keep the YNs inside the litter area if you don't want it being kicked everywhere! Or some use it for the whole cage, this is how the pet shop had my guy's cage set up but not sure how comfortable or warm it'll be for them...
Anyways, hope he's better now and the medicine cleared it up ♡

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.