Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had a strange red rash on my hand for a few weeks thats been spreading and getting worse. i went to my dermatologist and told her that i just got a new pet hedgehog. she said she thinks thats absolutely where i got it from. she says that shes almost positive its a fungal infection but took a test and im waiting for the results. she said i should take my hedgehog to the vet, which i am going to do.
does this mean that my hedgehog is sick or has an infection himself and passed it on to me? i got him from a pet store but i thought it would be okay because it's an exotic pet store that specializes in pets like hedgehogs and such. they also had a card for the vet in my area that is also on this website. did this man sell me a hedgehog that he knew was sick do you think? everything else seems normal, this was unexpected. my main question though is, is my hedgehog sick?

·
Registered
581 Posts
most likely he has anointed with something that has caused this reaction. also try bathing him a little more often to make sure his quills stay clean. not saying you are letting your hedgie get filthy, just your skin may be a little more sensitive to the things that could be on his quills.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay thanks. i do bath him a lot but not too much. also, ive never seen him anoint. i guess that doesnt mean he never has, but would i be able to tell if he has?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Depends on what he's annointing over. If it's food, you'll find it all over his back :lol:

Also, there was a thread previous about ring worm. Basically, with handling hedgehogs, their quills will make indents, or damage the top layer of our skin. This makes US more susceptible to stuff like skin irritation, rashes/fungal, etc. So it might not be that your hedgie gave you something, rather the places that have been poked by his quills have been damaged.

It might also be wise not to allow your hedgehog to go near your rash. If you touch it, wash your hands before handling your hedgehog. Because if it is fungal, you CAN pass it onto your hedgie!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay i gotcha,thanks! should i wear a glove while handling him until it goes away? because its only on one hand so he'd still know its me and get my scent from my other hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.