Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My hedgehog's got a swollen and red foot which I only noticed today when I was trimming his nails. His toes are twice their usual size, and I think 3 of his nails fell off that foot. All the other feet are fine, and he seems to be walking fine, but I'm really worried. I'm pretty sure it's infected, and we're bringing him to the vet tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advice as to what to do before then? If it's an infection, I'm assuming we'll be given a small animal antibiotic, so if it's treated, would it return to normal, since it's so swollen, and would his nails grow back?

I might give him a foot bath, but i'm just worried I might hurt him/make it worse.

Has anyone had their hedgehog go through a similar thing, and how was its recovery? And worse come to worse (it looks pretty bad), would he end up losing it?

Sorry if I sound ignorant - to be honest I probably am, and I'm just really concerned, since nothing like this has ever happened before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As an update - It was a foot infection, and we were given mild antibiotics to treat it. The infection got better, and it looked far less irritated, and was returning to its normal state. Unfortunately, she passed yesterday night. I don't know the cause of it, but I doubt it was correlated to the antibiotics or the infection. Her immune system may have weakened due to the antibiotics, but she was always so healthy apart form the infection. I really miss her, but it was nice to know that she was happy with me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts