Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Wilbur 馃 Male African Pygmy Hedgehog 馃惥 born Spring 2020 馃尭 ESA 馃専
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male hedgehog (Wilbur) is about 2 years old and recently we were able to go to the vet for the first time! (I know I know, it was way too late to be a first time but we just moved and our last area didn't have exotic vets)

He's perfectly healthy and happy (but obese and had sadly lost quite of bit of quills during the move via stress 馃様) But the vet did let me know that my current heating setup might not be enough as the wavelengths
She recommended I add some incandescent lights and I've been trying to do as much research as I can but so far haven't found much. Any help please?

TLDR: Vet recommended adding incandescent lights, any recommended or tips?

Current Set Up Info:

Cage: Amazon Basics Indoor-Outdoor Small Pet Habitat Cage with Canvas Bottom

Cage Size: 46.65in L x 13.78in W x 23.62in H

Heating: 2 CHE (both 100 W) connected to a thermostat. A thermometer is also present to double check thermostat temperatures.
  • CHE 1: in a dome above the left side of cage(23.62in above) over his burrowing area with loose fleece to burrow in
  • CHE 2: Clip on lamp w/ wide brim connected to right side of cage, at an angle to heat rest of cage

Registered
Hi there! Why did she think your set up was not enough? Because it sounds good to me what you had until now. I also have 100 W CHE with thermostat. If your hedgehog haven't ever tried to hibernate under these conditions, I wouldn't worry much. Plus, light in the night might mess up his sleeping schedule.

Registered
Wilbur 馃 Male African Pygmy Hedgehog 馃惥 born Spring 2020 馃尭 ESA 馃専
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! Yes there actually was a situation in which he attempted to hibernate just before we moved out :D I should have mentioned that in the initial post. My assumptions with the light is that I would have it set on a timer where it will automatically turn off at night.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts