Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my little Nico is just about to turn 5 months old. The last few nights I've noticed on her cage liner little spots that I suspected were vomit. Night before last I had my suspicions confirmed as she actually threw up a little bit while I had her out for her nightly bonding session. She just did that again just now.

The thing is that there isn't really much different in her diet or schedule since I've gotten her. She's been on the same kibble since I finished the changeover from her original food, she hasn't had a new type of treat in several weeks, same water. She's still eating and drinking like normal. She's still very active (if anything she's been more active the last few nights). The only slight change is I've starting mixing in another brand of kibble, but she's already been getting that for a least a couple of weeks (probably longer though) and no trouble until a few nights ago. The only time she looks like she doesn't feel well is right before she tosses her cookies and then she's fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? The vomit is a light brown in color. She also had some nasty green poo a couple of nights ago, but so far no repeat of that. Not sure if I need to get her to the vet, or if this is the sort of thing that should pass on it's own.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I agree, I would take Nico to the vet as soon as possible. Vomit, especially for a few nights, is something that needs to be seen by a vet. Especially if it's accompanied with green poo, even though thankfully that's stopped. I would still take her in just to be safe. Try to keep her hydrated as much as you can, as dehydration in hedgies can cause serious issues. Good luck, and keep us updated if you can :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I wouldn't say you have to go to the emergency vet unless she starts getting worse (emergency vets are often very expensive), but yes, do go to the vet as soon as you can get in, today or tomorrow. She could have some kind of infection going on in her GI tract causing the vomiting and diarrhea.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Go to the vet ASAP like emergency vet if you have to! When hedgies start showing stress signs it is extremely important to get them to a vet asap...
This is not an emergency situation. It can wait until regular vet hours.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Took her to the vet today. The vet isn't particularly worried since Nico is otherwise acting normal, but we're going to do some tests. Waiting for a fresh batch of green poo so I can take it in. I'll update again when we know more.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I don't want to be one of those crazy owners that runs to the vet for every tiny thing, but I do want to take good care of my little girl.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would take my hedgehog in if it was vomiting too. I've actually never had a hedgie that vomited, but I can't imagine I would be very calm about it.
She may be having green poop if she hasn't been eating much. But it's good that the vet is going to check her out.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, second night in a row without green poop or puke! This is good and bad. Good that it isn't happening, bad because it might be harder to figure out what caused it to begin with. Taking in a fecal sample tomorrow to have it tested.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: Got the fecal results back from the vet today. They came with showing no parasites. Hurray! Now the real question is, what caused the vomiting and green poop? Do hedgehogs just have the occasional stomach upset for no particular reason like we do? We haven't seen any more green poo since early last week, but she did throw up again on Thursday night. But not since. Oh my poor little Nico :( Any ideas on what else if anything I should do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.