Hedgehog Central banner

I'm finally getting my first hedgie tomorrow! *NEW PIX!!*

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  shetland 
#1 ·
Hello to Everyone,

I decided that it was time for my first post because I am finally getting my first hedgie!!! I've wanted one since I was a child so this is exciting for me and my family as well!!! I don't have a name picked out for my little girl yet (I have a few ideas though!) but maybe I'll decide once I meet her tomorrow.

This site has been so helpful with all of the questions that I had~ boy have I learned a lot, so thanks again to everyone in advance for all of your help and ideas. :D

By the way, I get a kick out of everything being Canadian-based because the company I work for (well, my biggest customer) is based out of Canada. :)

I'll post pictures as soon as I can.
PS~ I'll be the crazy hedgie mom that makes clothes and dresses her little girl (went to school for fashion design) and takes a million pix! lol I can't wait to share.

Introducing everyone to my little Miss Muffet!! <3
She was born September 24th. Her and her brother are VERY tiny~ the smallest the breeder had seen, so we're not even sure how big she will get! I'm going to start weighing her tonight to make sure she's putting on weight but she's so active and has a healthy appetite. She had a ball on her wheel the first day/night, ate a bunch (even a few meal worms I snuck in there the first night and a few tiny crickets the second night-Plus I didn't have to count pieces of food from over night because I got to watch her eat a bunch before I went to bed!), and even rearranged a bit (that toilet paper tube keeps mysteriously moving! lol). I have her in a temporary bin that the breeder gave me to keep her in for now because the cage I have for her is so big compared to her. The breeders were great! We actually had a fun time meeting them (my sister and niece came with me) and meeting my baby's mommy and daddy!

She has a great personality and isn't shy at all. It is hilarious watching her jump at all the noises but she's getting used to my voice already. I just tell her it's me and that everything's okay and she unhides her little face! I took her out once yesterday where she crawled on the floor, in my hands of course, and my mom got to hold her (she loved it- until Miss Muffet started walking up her arms and she didn't know what to do! lol she's already offered to hog sit whenever I need! lol). My fiance' is afraid to hold her yet- I think he's afraid he might freak a bit when he gets poked so I'm waiting for a day when they're both calm and I'll introduce them properly! lol So anyway, so far so good.

I couldn't have asked for a sweeter hedgie~ I just wish I didn't have to work but it's probably a good thing because I would probably sit at home and watch her sleep all day! My fiance' says I must have said the word "hedgehog" a million times in the last 2 days! lol Can you tell I'm excited?!? <3
This is Miss Muffet exploring her wheel!
this was the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep (AKA prime time to watch my new baby at play!) Scared her with the flash on this one! lol
Checking out a meal worm~ She annointed herself for the first time with me after chomping down on one!! lol so cute!

~Melissa

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: I'm finally getting my first hedgie tomorrow!!!

I am so excited for you!! It gives me goosebumps whenever I read how excited people are to get their new baby. I remember the thrill myself of getting a little critter I had never had before. The trepidation of caring for something completely different, the setup of a new house I had never done before, it was all very exciting and made me nervous at the same time. Would it like me? Would I like it and be happy I committed to it?

I wish you many happy years with your new hedgie, I am loving mine!

#4 ·
Re: I'm finally getting my first hedgie tomorrow! *UPDATE N PIX*

Thank you both! I love her so much already! My family is all just as excited as I am since I've wanted one for as long as they can remember. I even got the cutest text from my dad the day I picked her up: "Happy Hedgehog Day!!" How cute is that?! lol :lol:

#7 ·

This is an old thread, guys...

The fleece was probably dragged from a sleeping place out into the middle of the cage.

#8 ·

Thanks LG~ Yes, this is from when I first brought my baby home.
The breeder had their hedgies on shavings whereas I wanted her on fleece. They gave me a bin to use for a few weeks (or until she got a little bigger) because she was so tiny and the cage I have for her is pretty large. I put in some fleece and my t-shirt (with smells of me of course) so that she'd get used to it (hence the fleece AND liners). Once she was a little bigger, we moved her to her own cage- shavings free-and much less messy I must say! :D

Actually thanks for posting on this because it got me to look at pix of her when she was still teeny-tiny. ;) Also (regarding something else I previously wrote) my fiance' now ADORES her!!!! :lol: :lol:

#10 ·
Re: I'm finally getting my first hedgie tomorrow! *NEW PIX*

Here are some updated pix!

She's still small enough to hold in my hand! :)

Lemme get some of that! *no, she wasn't actually allowed to eat it :)

Love the tongue!

Annointing

Chillin

"Moooom! Daddy keeps trying to touch my face!!!"

Testing out the deep end during her first bath

Nom nom nom

I love her face here!

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind words. My fiance' loves her so much that he actually expressed that he wants a hedgehog of his own! He's come a looong way from when he didn't even want to touch her! lol So we're just waiting for the right time and I think we may eventually take in a rescue or get an albino (which I originally wanted), so who knows! :D
Thanks again!

*edit: I almost forgot: Yesterday she turned 5 months old! <3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.