Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing this project about how common small pets are abused and mistreated and the general lack of information surrounding how you should care for these pets. What are some common things you see online or with other hedgehog owners that you would call abuse? What are some things people don't realize they shouldn't do with their hedgehogs? What's something you want to tell people about hedgehog care?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've heard/ seen some stories about people pulling out/ trimming hedgehog quills. This is bad because it harms them physically, but they also cannot defend themselves. Infection and bacteria can get into the quills if they are trimmed. I've seen some stories about people dying their hedgehog's quills... not sure if this is REALLY abuse, but it certainly seems like if you used a non-animal dye, it could cause some issues.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,053 Posts
Hazehogs on instagram is a perfect example of abuse.

They paint the quills with neon paint. This is mostly an example to what's already been mentioned.

They also put their hedgehogs in large tubs or morio worms (these worms bite) the hedgehogs are clearly trying to get out yet she finds its "cute" when those poor ones are clearly not happy.

There are some videos of the hogs in these rubber rings in the water. The water is way to high for 1. And 2 putting them in those rings is a hazard for them to chock and stuff. Not only that the hedgehogs are NOT happy at all!
Before the puts those rings on those hogs are already stressed and struggling in the water thats just way to high.

There are also videos where they have a bowl or what looks like cheese puffs (cheetos, whatever u want to call those cheese puffy crisps) and one where she has the hoglet eating it comfirming its cheese. But its defitnlly cheese crips not just cheese. Anyway hedgehogs are lactose intolerant so cant have cheese, milk ect, and crisps are dangerous and bad for ANY pet.

People have tried to tell her she don't listen. So if you have a look but don't waste your time trying to tell her. Just use it to see examples.

Other things that I class as abuse or at least mean:

Not providing a big enough enclosure, having these tiny cages that they can only just walk around in. Hedgehogs need a lot of space not some tiny enclosure unless there are medical reasons like they can't walk properly that require a smaller enclosure so they can get good ect easy.

Providing the wheel. There are wheels like saucer wheels that really damage their backs over time, wheels should be 12" at least though for some this is to small, having a wheel that is to small can cause a lot of back problems.

I also think that giving them a water bottle that is hard for them to get water out and the ones with the balls could trap and hurt their tongues, when its so easy to just provide a decent bowl as abuse. But that could just be me!

And obviously that mentioned already by the two above.

A lot of people will see different things as abuse so you really need to pick out what ypu actually think counts based of information given.

·
Registered
Cassie is a six month old, adorable hedgie!
13 Posts
Making a hedgie swim, feeding them too much so they will be obese, not feeding them enough, neglecting them, not providing the proper home for them, and setting them free to the wild.
This is pretty off topic, but how do I make a post? I’ve been checking everywhere for a post button. I even went to the help page and there was no information about it.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,053 Posts
This is pretty off topic, but how do I make a post? I’ve been checking everywhere for a post button. I even went to the help page and there was no information about it.
Under each topic at the top you should have a start discussion button like this.
This is on phone view I have no idea if it is the same on desktop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm doing this project about how common small pets are abused and mistreated and the general lack of information surrounding how you should care for these pets. What are some common things you see online or with other hedgehog owners that you would call abuse? What are some things people don't realize they shouldn't do with their hedgehogs? What's something you want to tell people about hedgehog care?
A lot people get hedgehogs on impulse without knowing about their heating requirements or dietary requirements which can be lethal for them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts