Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Kiwi for a week now!!! Wow. He is really starting to warm up to me. He loves climbing on me. lol! I wanted to say thanks to everybody that has answered my questions over the past week. I am using the cage, in which he came with. It is a decent size. I included a picture.

He is that bundle under his top liner:D Idk why. He is crazy! Lol!:)

I took his food out right before I took this pic because he had it tumped over.
I have a few toys in there. A snuggle dolphin, a small rubber duckie, and a toilet paper roll(which is unrolled). He loves the toilet paper roll, when he is not in his cage. He mainly sleeps and eats when he is in his cage!:)

I would like to find him something bigger. I see a lot of people with small wire boxes together as a cage. What is that?
Also, if you have any ideas on some diy toys, I would love that!
What does your hedgie like to play with?
Also, I would like to try and litter train him. I had a small Tupperware box type thing(sorry:p) with some fleece in it, but he tried to burrow under the fleece. Any ideas?
Sorry for the long post!:) Thanks in advance. If y'all have any advice, tips, tricks that would be awesome! I look forward to reading and responding to y'all s posts.

P.S. What is a good length to trim their nails?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The wired cages are made up of the wired cubes, can be found at walmart, kmart, or online. Then you can add a base, such as coroplast, which is corrugated plastic. If you do this make sure to add walls that are at least 8 inches up the sides. I would suggest going for a full 14 inches in case you have a climber (and it sounds like you do) that way you don't have to add more siding in the future.

Some diy toys are empty cereal containers, empty oatmeal containers (the cylinder ones), a dig box with some cut up fleece. You can make a tunnel out of a pair of old jeans, line it with fleece and add some stiff material to the openings. You can also create a fleece forest. Find some wired for of top (or make one) and then tie a whole bunch of fleece strips to the top. The position this in his cage so that the fleece hangs and makes a forest.

I use ping pong balls, cat toys that jingle without holes, a cat mouse toy (no catnip), 4 inch pvc pipe joints and crinkle tunnels.

Also try to remember that not everyone that views your thread has the answers. This forum is linked to google and other search sites and some people may have the same question as you and are waiting for others to answer it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For litter training I just use a small aluminum cooking pan from the dollar store (they come in packs of 3, for $1-$2). I started by putting that where she decided to use the bathroom (which happened to be her nice homemade hut lol) and let her go in it while empty. This is a bit messy and you have to footbath and such, but I didn't want to introduce too much at a time. Once she knew that that was the bathroom I added in some bedding (dust free, chemical free, recycled paper I believe) and now she pretty much litter trained herself. I use a tiny litter scoop and tidy it up everyday and it works wonderfully.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Agreed with Desiree. :) Not everyone can answer questions, or sometimes if someone could answer, they don't always have the time to do so right away. Please try not to bump up threads unless you've gone for a day or so without an answer. Sometimes it takes more than a couple hours before you'll get a response, which is normal. Our forum has a much faster response time than many others I've been on, so usually it doesn't take more than a day or two. :)

As far as litter training, he probably doesn't really know what you're trying to do. It might be better to use something different for litter, such as a paper towel. Some people also use Carefresh or Yesterdays News paper pellets. Whatever you use, just make sure he's not trying to eat it. The best way to try & litter train is to just move poops from wherever he goes to the litter box & see if he catches on. Most people put litter boxes under the wheel to catch "run off". Sometimes hedgies will catch on & keep bathroom habits limited to that area. Sometimes they don't. You may not be able to litter train him, so just keep that in mind too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to those of you who responded! I loved all of your ideas. I am sorry that y'all thought I was meaning for yall to respond. I am sorry, i realized how rude that sounded, so my apologies!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
For the nail question I just usually cut my hedgehogs nails a little before the quick (the pink part of the nail). Its hard to see because her nails are so tiny and she wiggles around so much. but its better to cut too little then cut too much. If after I clip her nail I still think its too long, I just go back and cut again (very carefully!). Make sure you have something to stop the bleeding if you cut too much. Cornstarch or flour could work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts