Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I really want a hedgie but my mom won’t say yes I’ve already said I will pay for all the supplies and vet visits all she has to do is get me the hedgie for my b-day in a few months I have everything sorted out so that even if my dogs get into my room they won’t be able to get to the hedgie and everything so any advice on how I can get her to say yes?

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly with me but huffy with others.
2,011 Posts
Ask her what it is that is making her reluctant on saying yes.

Don't forgot they need daily insects, where you buy live, keep them live then feed them live, or you buy live then you freeze - gut loading on both occasions when they arrive.
The insects put a lot of parents off letting their children have hedgehogs.

There could also be many other reasons that she has
Once you knew why she is saying no, you can have a conversation about it, giving points and solutions back to all her reasons, and finally getting her to say yes.

Being able to do this also shows your responsible and grown up, which could help you a lot to.

Good luck! Hope you get your little one!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I do not feed my hedgehog insects every day, but I will say that hedgehogs are a lot of work. They are a patience pet, so they need at least an hour of socialization (if possible) every day, a big enclosure, and a wheel. I would suggest making a pro and con list with your mom and talking to her about it. If she is still reluctant, I would say that while you are in her house, the pets you have are also a part of her decision. If she won't let you get a hedgehog, maybe consider something such as a rat or hamster or guinea pig. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mom said she dosent want another animal does anyone have advice on fixing that I think she’s worried it will become her responsibility to take care of it which it wont

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Thats a pretty common reason.

Honestly the best way you can prove to her you are responsible and wont give up on your pet is the help as much as you can with the ones you have - if you don't already.

You can also give her facts and bits of information, this shows you really want one, and if you stay strong with most parents it helps to prove you really are serious.

Plan out a routine for your hog, and then go over it with her, so she can see your seriously thinking about it.
  • Like they need a good day and night cycle 12 hours light for day and 12 hours dark for night - or as close to that if its a little it doesn't matter as long as its always the same each day. So you can plan out what time you will make it nice and light and what time it will be dark.
  • You can plan out what time you will get your hog out and then put them back. Make sure to do your best to plan it around college, I often did any home tasks with Holly out cuddling me.
This might help assure your mum that even though you have college you will still have time for your hedgehog.

Look for exotic vets knowing about aph is ideal around you so that you can show your prepared for when your possible future hog is ill or something.
This one isnt as much for your mum but more for you, but start saving up in a savings account that you wont touch for vet bills, even if you get insurance you really want something for smaller issues like infections that are not worth taking claims on.

It may take a few months but she might see how responsible you are and how serious you are and then may let you get one.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Another thing to consider is your age. How much longer will you be living at home? If you leave while your hedgehog is still around, will you be able to take it with you? If you're in high school now, this might be a bad time to take on a new responsibility. If you're younger, this may be more responsibility than you actually want. These are not easy pets, especially in the beginning.

Ultimately, this is up to your parents. Once you've made your argument you need to respect whatever decision is made. There will time later on for a hedgehog if you can't have one now. Pestering and constantly asking after having received an answer often backfire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My mom said she dosent want another animal does anyone have advice on fixing that I think she’s worried it will become her responsibility to take care of it which it wont
My son actually said the same thing...and it did eventually become mainly my responsibility after he lost interest so please make sure you are fully committed for as long as the hedgehog lives. I will warn you that cage and wheel clean up is quite a big and time consuming job...more so than I expected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hiya! Warning, long answer ahead lol. So I'm 35 and was a bit of a late bloomer when I moved out on my own at 25. I kind of used getting a hedgehog as a good motivator for moving out into my own place, but even when I moved out, I still had to hold off because I didn't trust the the temperature and I just didn't have the space yet. Everything that everyone has said so far about this being a pet that requires a fair amount of work and dedication is right. I totally get that you want one, I've been there, but I can understand why your mom would say 'no'. To be honest, if I had moved out into a place with a roommate, I probably wouldn't have gotten a hedgehog.

In addition to what's already been said:
  • you need to make sure the temperature stays warm and even (which could raise the bills if you need to use heat lamps or pads)
  • you need to spot clean their cage every day, change their food and water every day, give them foot baths to clean their poopy feet (btw, their poops can be big and smelly, and it's not dry like rabbits are)
  • I'd like to reiterate that they need space (I would let my little guy run free around most of my apartment when I was home), and when they're out and active for a little bit they often pee and poop.
  • they're also active at night, which took some getting used to for me. My first night was a biiiiiit stressful because I was lying in bed and all I could focus on was the hedgehoggy sounds he was making in his enclosure in the other room.

Not to mention, their spines do hurt when you're holding them and they bristle. It's going to take some time to get used to the unique sensation of their prickles. So when it was mentioned above that you need at least one hour of socialization a day, this can be really difficult for a first time owner because their spines are PRICKLY and it can be easy to give up, but you gotta get used to the sensation. I can't stress how necessary that is--when you clip their toenails, you'll be thankful for it.

They can be sweet pets and they are adorable, but I can understand why your mom would say no. You may just need to wait a bit, but good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got my hedgehog as a birthday present last year,and it took years of wanting one to convince my parents to make the decision to allow me to have one. My hedgie is the best thing I've ever gotten, but being a hedgie parent, like others have said, is no easy thing.
You must be certain you're willing to handle the responsibility. And sometimes the way to show your parents that you are is to take on more chores, or give up something else you want. That's how I got my hedgehog.
Make sure you're not pestering and asking constantly. In my family, no means no. So I never ask outright until I've bettered myself enough that my parents think I might actually deserve what I'm asking for and are willing to consider before giving their no.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Just to clarify from my earlier post, telling them facts about hedgehogs and their care I didn't mean all the time and its not to pester or a way to ask again to get a new answer.
The facts are really just to show you are researching and you so know what your going to need to do!
Giving facts is totally differnt to keep pestering and keep asking to get a new answer.
Just for anyone - the op and anyone who else reading it - to understand what I meant because I realise it sounded like saying to pester which isnt what I meant at all!

To be honest me and my brother always come out with weird facts about everything so I totally didnt think about it being pestering to others reading as in my family its normal 😂 When I did this with hedgehogs to show my mum what I knew about them it was a normal thing for me to come out with facts about things.

When I wanted a hedgehog I had to ask my mum, being 17 and living with her. She said her big concern is college and work and how that will work with giving me time for a hedgehog.
To be honest this is where I found them being nocturnal and great advantage to them as a pet! I was going to college and work in the day - working on my days off from college, and then hedgehog in the evening before bed.
As soon as I wanted one I started putting money away each month for vet bills (because the 1 insurance company here that did it for hedgehogs wasnt worth it at all) so I also told her that to.
I never actually asked her again, I just told her information and proved to her I had time around work and college.
Just after my 18th birthday, she told me I can get one, 1 month after that I got Holly.
She will be 3 years old 20th April and I will have owned her 3 years 20th June.
My mum recently said she is glad she said yes in the end, for reasons I am not telling the whole world.

It took me a week to work out a schedule for getting a hedgehog out. I wanted to give 2 hours an evening, but I couldn't stay up to late because of always getting up early. So it took me a week to work out the best time frame for this.
A lot of the time holly would give me cuddles while I did college work (luckily I got a pretty cuddly social hog!)

Think about when would you clean the wheel and litter pick. - Holly is pretty clean so where I planned like an hour for this it actually only takes me like 20 mins. I decided the weekend would be the days I do the full cage clean which takes me like 2-3 hours.

Plus you have to think about if you as a family go on holiday, could you take the hog or would you need to find somewhere that can care for them properly.
My family don't really do holidays so this wasnt something I had to think about and not been mentioned yet.

You also need to make sure there is an exotic vet and will be able to take your aph/knows a but about them near them as they are better than a standard small animal vet so you need to look at this before you get one as a pet. Something else I didnt see mentioned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts