Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i ordered me a new cage for my hedgehog since the black metal one was a no no. Anyways, the link i added is the EXACT cage i ordered and the dimensions are right under the link. It's a pretty good size cage i think, but my question is will just one heating lamp heat the whole cage or should i buy 2 heating lamps?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... lor_name=1

Product Dimensions: 40.5 x 18.2 x 20.5 inches
(40 1/2 inches long, 18 1/2 inches wide, 20 1/2 inches tall)

·
Registered
11 Posts
That cage should be fine, my hedgehog has plenty of room in his 32 x 20 inch.

One 150 watt ceramic bulb should do the trick, unless the room you are keeping your hedgehog in gets really cold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it gets around 68-69ish sometimes in here, but usually stays around 70 degrees. should the 150 watt do it or should i get another heating lamp? the heat lamp i got has like a metal cage in front of where the bulb goes and it has a movable stand that can connect to the cage.
so what i was gonna do is put the heating lamp inside the cage towards one side and connect it to the top of the cage and face it out towards the whole cage so it would warm the whole cage and not just one spot...would that be a good idea or no??

this is a pic of the heat lamp i got-
http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... nglamp.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
That sounds like a good idea... just make sure you get a thermostat to control the heat so that it doesn't get too hot. I'd try one, and see if it heats it up enough... or you could just buy everything together and return the extra lamp and bulb if its not necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As long as it's made for heat bulbs, you should be fine. Make sure it has a ceramic light socket... some heat bulbs get too hot and can actually melt it and be a fire hazard.

The clamp looks good. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
One emitter with a cage that size should be enough. Be sure to get a thermostatic heat controller, though. Your emitter plugs into this and regulates the temperature so your hedgie doesn't cook. It's ESSENTIAL with a ceramic heat emitter.

Some hedgehogs are bothered by the bulbs that put out red light, so try to get one that doesn't put out any light at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, im going to get one of those no light twirly flat bulbs. Do you know how much one of those heat emitter things or whatever you mentioned i had to have to plug my heat lamp into are? im just curious, and do i get them from a petstore? im guessing they are for reptiles..and can i get one of those flat stick on thermometers and stick it to the middle of the inside of the base of my cage?

thanks guys, ill post pics when im officially done with the cage, which will be at least 3 weeks :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts