Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a clamp heating lamp on my plastic bin. It works just fine. Just make sure that you only heat one side of the cage and that he has two places to sleep, one under the lamp and one away from the lamp, in case he gets too warm.

I would be very afraid about suspending the lamp. What if it falls? I don't know how safe the heaters are but if it fell onto carpet it might be able to start a fire.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've been using the large Zoo Med Heat Lamp with a 100w ceramic heat emitter bulb attached to the side of my Sterlite bin for about a week now. Everything is going fine. The plastic bin doesn't even get warm because I've angled it to hit the center of one half of the cage.

I use this in conjunction with a space heater that heats the room to a steady 72 F with the heat emitter heating one side of the cage to 77 F so that Quillbert can choose which side to sleep on.

If you do end up suspending the heat lamp just make sure that you have some sort of fail safe rope or chain so that if it does fall it won't land in the cage and hurt your hedgehog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts