Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a loooong time since I posted here. I got my hedgie Hugh a little over a year ago, and he is doing GREAT!

Until recently, I have been keeping my room heat between 70-72 degrees. This has always been the case with Hugh, and he does great. HOWEVER, this is my first winter in my new place and my last electric bill was ridiculously high. Clearly, I can't keep the air temp that high so I am looking for new ways to heat his cage.

He is in a plastic bin. One side is cut out at the top and fitted with mesh. The top is completely open as he is not a climber. Right now I have a fan heater on him, but it is 1500 watts. I read through several threads and am very conflict about what I should do. It of course seems that warm room air is best, but I'm not sure that can be an option. Are the snuggle safe disks insufficient? I also don't imagine that a ceramic emitter would be safe either?

I'm frustrated, and want to make sure that I'm taking the best care I can of my guy. If there is no other way than to heat the air, then I will do it... winter won't last forever, right? :cry:

-HH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just another thought... has anyone ever suspended a ceramic lamp? I wouldn't want to attach it to the plastic bin, but what about having the lamp hover over it? Hugh is currently in a closet (doors open, its just a great nook for him!) and there is a very sturdy clothes bar I could hang something from.

Ideas/thoughts??

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would say that sounds like a good idea, as long as it's not too close to the cage, of course. But I don't see the problem in getting a clamp lamp for the plastic bin. That's what I've done with Gunther- he doesn't need a lid to his cage, he's never once looked UP, I don't think...- and so I just aim the lamp at his sleeping area and monitor the temperature with a digital thermometer.

Anyway, I'm new to hedgehogs myself, so if my information is incorrect, let me know too! haha

hope that helps! (or we both get help!)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a clamp heating lamp on my plastic bin. It works just fine. Just make sure that you only heat one side of the cage and that he has two places to sleep, one under the lamp and one away from the lamp, in case he gets too warm.

I would be very afraid about suspending the lamp. What if it falls? I don't know how safe the heaters are but if it fell onto carpet it might be able to start a fire.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I think suspending the emitter would be alright BUT, as Bengall77 mentioned, there is a risk of it falling. Some of the dome fixtures have small holes around the outer lip of the fixture. You could attach wires to these hole to wire the fixture securely to whatever you use to suspend it. I certainly would not depend on the clamp alone to hold it. Even my emitters that sit directly on top of the cage, I have them securely wired to the top.

What would you suspend it from? It would need to be something very stable that couldn't be tipped over. They do sell a stand to suspend the emitters but if I remember correctly, there was someone on here that bought one and had a problem with it. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies. Hugh is in a closet (door open though, its just a great nook for him!) and there is a very sturdy bar across the top. Since it is such a low traffic area, I don't think there would be much risk of it being knocked. I imagine I would have to secure it with some steady chain though... I think I will go to a few places today and try to brainstorm. I'm glad to hear that some people use the clip just fine. In theory, if it stays ~75 degrees, then it shouldn't damage the bin at all. I hate putting this much trust in electronics!!

For now, Hugh is on the space heater and enjoying a crisp ~75 degrees. My wallet will take a hit until I figure out a more economical way to handle things.

Thank you :)

-HH

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've been using the large Zoo Med Heat Lamp with a 100w ceramic heat emitter bulb attached to the side of my Sterlite bin for about a week now. Everything is going fine. The plastic bin doesn't even get warm because I've angled it to hit the center of one half of the cage.

I use this in conjunction with a space heater that heats the room to a steady 72 F with the heat emitter heating one side of the cage to 77 F so that Quillbert can choose which side to sleep on.

If you do end up suspending the heat lamp just make sure that you have some sort of fail safe rope or chain so that if it does fall it won't land in the cage and hurt your hedgehog.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We use a clamped ceramic heat emitter as well. Although we have a wire cage currently, it's never heated up the coated wire. Our apartment is older and temperature ranges are funny sometimes, but when I know it's chilly outside...I cover up at least half of Charlotte's cage with fleece liners. This keeps heat in and keeps her nice and warm.

We also have a timer for the emitter. This way, it's on less often during the day when we're checking the temperature more often and when it's warmer. It says on consistently pretty much 7pm-7am. So far the temperature has stayed pretty consistent.

The initial set up is a bit pricey, but it's worked great and is easy on the power bill :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.