Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little guy Q, is two years old. On friday I noticed him sleeping in the middle of his inclosure, rather than tucked away in his hedgie bag. Odd, but I touched him and he puffled a little. I let him be.

Yesterday, he was not as responsive as he normally is, so I took him out for a while. He seemed cooler to the touch, but having had a hibernation scare last year, his symptoms dont seem to match. Hes extremely lethargic, and VERY sleepy, but hes not wrapped into a tight ball. Hes not super cold, just cool but after hours on our bodies or in a warm towel, there seems to be no improvement. He shows slight intrest in eating and drinking but nothing seems to get his energy back. Hes not losing quills, his nose isnt runny. But hes in a stupor. He does open his eyes, and he does respond to touch but slowly. When he walks its quite wobbly. (But I don't think wobbly hedgehog as this JUST started happening) I'm thinking words like stroke, but the thought brings me to near tears.

Were calling his vet today, but her experience with Hedgies are limited. I am really scared I'm losing him. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas of what could be wrong with my little guy?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
A vet visit is needed asap. Sleeping out in the open is never a good sign and everything else points to a very sick hedgie. Put a heating pad on low under his cage because sick often need more heat. Start syringe feed and watering him.

What's his feces and urine like? Has he been loosing weight? It could be just about anything, possibly a tumour somewhere.

Are there any vets around that are more hedgehog knowledgeable?

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't have much experience yet, so I don't know the answer...

But just perusing the Health forum, there's a sticky about when to visit a vet, and your little Q meets a lot of the bullet points. If I were you, I'd make sure I could get in to the vet this morning. I wouldn't wait.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He did pee a little last night and again this morning. This morning it was ON me, which to me is another red flag. It was yellow. He also pooped, slowly this am but it was darker but not black, but also not green. I wish now we had kept it for fecal tests. He reaches out for things like the gerber meat sticks and does try to eat them. Part of me really hopes he is just sick and it will be a few weeks of supervision, syringe feedings and waterings and not cancer or something more. God. I can barely type this out without tearing up.

I live in Portland Oregon. So yes...if you do know of any experienced vets in the area please let me know!

The vet opens at 8am. (13 minutes ago) My husband took him to work with him, so after speaking to her, if he has to leave right away hes got Q.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of Deneen this morning! I asked her a lot of questions when deciding to take on hedgie ownership. I'll have to look up her information...I wonder if she knows a vet with more experience here in the city. My vet sees exotics and has dealt with hedgies, so I might be counting her out too soon, but when we took him for a wellness checkup she said it was the first time she'd seen a healthy hedgie. :?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Krisword said:
I thought of Deneen this morning! I asked her a lot of questions when deciding to take on hedgie ownership. I'll have to look up her information...I wonder if she knows a vet with more experience here in the city. My vet sees exotics and has dealt with hedgies, so I might be counting her out too soon, but when we took him for a wellness checkup she said it was the first time she'd seen a healthy hedgie. :?
I hope you find a vet with more experience than your own has. Q seems to be very sick and needs to be seen by an experienced hedgie vet. Try giving Deneen a call might be the best option since you need the vet ASAP.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am not sure who your vet is but, owners from my Yahoo group have listed:

Southwest Animal Hospital: Exotic Animal Practice, Dr. Mark Burgess and Dr. Katrina Ramsell, 6139 SW Murray Boulevard, Beaverton, OR, 97008, (503) 643-2137

Animal Care Clinic, Brent Husband, 29020 Town Center Loop E #102, Wilsonville, Oregon, 97070, (503)682-1794

Emergency Vet Clinic of Tualatin -after hrs, Dr Laughlin - Call Ahead, 19314 SW Mohave Ct, Tualatin, OR, 503-691-7922

Dove Lewis 205 Mall Plaza, Dr Samuelson - Call Ahead, 10564 SE Washington, Portland, OR, 503-262-7194

I have not used any of these vets.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our current vet is out on vacation. s***! We called a colleague of hers, and he’s also out on vacation. We have an appointment with the first vet you listed, Deneen...but his soonest was tomorrow at 10am. We’re working on calling the others.

I hate feeling so helpless in this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay...I have an appointment in an hour. We found one of the vets Deneen recomended has her own exotics clinic.

Thank you all for your help. I'll keep you updated. Please pray for Q's health if you think of it today.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Good luck, hon...let us know how it turns out. We're thinking of you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Small update. Q is on the way to Dr. Ramsell in Beaverton (who evidently worked under Dr. Burgess for many years). He had nibbled a bit on a turkey stick (the Gerber baby food), and he drank some water. After Deneen's suggestion of a little sugar (maybe about a teaspoon or two in about 6 ounces of water), Q seems to be perking up a bit and drinking rather voraciously. We are still taking him in to see the vet, but we are hopeful! :) Thanks everyone, and we will keep you updated.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm praying for the health of your little one, I'm sure little Q is in good hands. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MITES!!!

The vet did a skin scraping, and he does indeed have mites, and he is very dehydrated. She gave him an infusion of fluids with antibiotics and vitamins, and we will be treating him for mites with medication at home over the next 8 to 10 weeks. We'll keep a very close eye on his input and output over the next few days, and probably offer him water in a dish if he doesn't start drinking from the bottle again. The vet gave us some feeding pipettes if we need them. Also, the vet made some recommendations on food which I thought are worth sharing. While she said wet cat food is better than dry, she recommended Innova Carnivore Care specifically, and also said that earthworms are better and lower in fat than meal worms. He is definitely looking better already, and we are hopeful for a full recovery. Our new vet is Dr. Katrina Ramsell (DVM/PhD), she is located in Beaverton, and her phone number is 503-646-6101. Anyone in the Portland area should DEFINITELY consider her for their hedgie or other exotic. She was very knowledgable and helpful! She wanted to do a blood test, but she said it wasn't essential, and that she didn't want to take blood in his weakened state. She also gave a small dose of anesthetic gas to get the infusion started which was great. She is not working on Friday, but will be calling us to check on him.

Q is on his way home. :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
That's great news. Being dehydrated will definitely make them lethargic.

Yes, vets do sometimes recommend Carnivore care. I've tried it a few times and have yet to find one that will eat it. I use Hills A/D when syringe feeding. :D

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
If your little one is very dehydrated you may need more than 1 sub-q of fluids. If you are comfortable with needles, many vets will show you how to sub-q and give you the equipment to do so at home.

Quills crossed that all goes well and this is issue goes away quickly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts