Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am new to the hedgie world. I have not bought my hedgehog yet but I am very soon. Before I do I want to make sure I have everything ready. The only thing I am concerned about is his cage. Now I have read from a lot of people that aquarium tanks are not to good due to poor ventilation but they are good to block out drafts. So I was thinking of getting my hedgehog a cage like this...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753290

...but I am worried about drafts. There is really no place where I can put it so that there is no draft. I am going to get a CHE to keep it warm but will that be enough even if there is a draft or should I head more toward the aquarium.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have had the same cage for Chloe. I go between it and and a C&C cage.

If you have fleece liners drafts are not too much of a problem as the base is so deep it blocks the draft from directly blowing on your hedgie. If chloe stands on her hind legs she can just reach the top of the purple tray. I too have a heat lamp set up, A bucket wheel, a large bedding area, a hiding hut and toys. It has enough room depending on what you have to put in there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks so much!! I think I am going to get that cage instead then!! Im buying my hedgehog about the same stuff I am going to get fleece liners, igloo, a bucket wheel, food and drink bowls and toys. and I think Im going to put a liter tray too probably under the wheel. So I think I should have enough room. Do you think the CHE is best in a corner or in the center of the cage?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have the Super Pet cage you posted the link to. I have a 150 watt CHE that I put on top of the cage right in the middle. It seems to do the trick just fine. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have seen threads on here with both cages. The first has flimsy ramps and needs some work to secure them as well as make them safe for hedgie not to fall off. The other is also sort of a flimsy construction, but I myself have not used them just gone by suggestions others have made

·
Registered
654 Posts
I personally use a C&C cage because you can design it any way you want and plus, its way cheaper for a huge cage. (I have a 7 sq ft cage for only like, $40for grids + 25 for coroplast)

I have seen other members use the Super Pet my 1st home and they seem to get along just fine, I think out of all 3 the 1st one was the best!

Goooood Luck with your future hedgie :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just a little more info about the Super Pet My First Home XL cage: The base is really deep, so I haven't had any problems with Felix climbing onto the bars or flinging things out of the cage. It's also super easy to clean because I can easily fit my arms into the door and move things around, or I can pop off the wire top if I want to do a more thorough clean and wipe the base down. Most importantly, Felix seems to like it. It's big enough for all his things, plus it still gives him space to run around (he is full grown, too). It recently started getting a bit colder outside, and his CHE has been on pretty consistently for the past few days. The 150 watt bulb seems to heat the entire cage perfectly.

I really don't think there's a way to 100% guarantee that your hedgie won't be exposed to any drafts, but you can really minimize them if you keep the cage off the floor and have a CHE setup. Having a small animal in an aquarium can be a huge pain in the neck. When I was in middle school, I kept my guinea pig in an aquarium. It was the cage that the people at the pet store had recommended, so I didn't really question the ventilation and such. :roll: I had a LOT of problems with that aquarium, though. It kept in odor and was pretty much impossible to clean because it was so clunky and heavy. I pretty much had to carry it into the backyard and power wash it with the hose.

Here's a picture of Felix's setup, in case you wanted a better idea of how the cage looks with all of his things in it:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!! You guys were a lot of help Im going to get the Super pet XL cage. And thank you for the picture Lehaley that helps a lot so I can get a better idea! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
116 Posts
LarryT said:
hedgieehog said:
Oh also do you guys know if

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3166874

is any good to like have in the corner so that have to dig around in?
You can use it but it's very dusty and messy too. ;)
Larry is spot on. I've also heard it dries out their skin. Maybe you can just make a dig box for him with an old tissue box and fleece scraps. Not that messy and causes no harm to hedgies! :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
i got the super my pet home (whichever is the largest one they make) when i first got jakob and it worked until the sun went down then he tore it all to **** because he was so bored even with a wheel and toys in there. in my opinion (and jakobs) its just way too small after you get the wheel in there, igloo (or whatever so they can hide and feel secure), and all the other stuff. i got my other hedgie, jeremiah, about a month after i got jakob and i put jeremiah in that home as well since i had moved jakob to 2 sterelite containers attached so he could have more room to run and jeremiah tore up the super my pet home that first night as well. it may work for some and does have the MINIMUM amount of space you HAVE to have, but definitely too small for my boys. as for the carefresh i totally agree its messy and they tend to like to fling it outside of their cage, plus it gets stuck when they ball up when you wake them up then when they unball it goes all over the carpet and everywhere. if you are going to use carefresh however, use the white kind as it tends to be a little less dusty and its easy to see any changes in urine color or if there is any blood anywhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts