Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an adult hedgehog, Splinter. The last 4 days he has no been eating or drinking and has become extremely lethargic and progressively less responsive. He doesn't even roll up to lay down or sleep like he normally does. He lays flat on his stomach like a limp rag. We have been trying to syringe-feed him, but he fights it vigorously and throws up whatever we do manage to get him to eat/drink. We are very worried about him and the only vet within 100 miles of us who will see exotic pets is on vacation until Monday! I've been trying to research as much as possible, but I'm lost for what I can possibly do. So here are the facts:

*His tummy is warm, not cold
*He is able to roll into a ball
*He still responds defensively to sounds or unexpected contact
*Raising his temperature has done nothing to improve his situation
*His breathing has been normal
*He has not been pooping, but he has been urinating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have an adult hedgehog, Splinter. The last 4 days he has no been eating or drinking and has become extremely lethargic and progressively less responsive. He doesn't even roll up to lay down or sleep like he normally does. He lays flat on his stomach like a limp rag. We have been trying to syringe-feed him, but he fights it vigorously and throws up whatever we do manage to get him to eat/drink. We are very worried about him and the only vet within 100 miles of us who will see exotic pets is on vacation until Monday! I've been trying to research as much as possible, but I'm lost for what I can possibly do. So here are the facts:

*His tummy is warm, not cold
*He is able to roll into a ball
*He still responds defensively to sounds or unexpected contact
*Raising his temperature has done nothing to improve his situation
*His breathing has been normal
*He has not been pooping, but he has been urinating.
I am new at this but there is a critical supplement for hedgehogs you could try because this sounds like what is going on with my hedgehog. And my vet said it was heat but who knows.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
573 Posts
I would advise getting to a vet as soon as possible. It is really hard to tell what is going on with these little guys. For now, just keep him comfortable, try to feed him tiny amounts of food at a time so as not to upset his stomach. If he seems to be getting worse when you try to feed him, maybe he will just not eat. How old is he? Just make an appointment for Monday and treat him gently and kindly until then. Sorry you have to go through this :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts