Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I currently have the zilla 500r and just ordered the reptitemp from amazon a few days ago for our new c&c setup for the babies. Once it arrives I'll post which I like better, the zilla works fine so far I'm just thinking the reptitemp might be a tad more precise since it has a digital readout vs a dial. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a Repti temp. Mine is a dial for temperature setting not digital. I have a digital thermometer also set up to monitor the temperature so I can know. I find it works great for me. Only 2 things I didn't like - it comes with a case to cover the dial ones the temperature is set but with the CHE plugged in, the case doesn't fit (ie. it doesn't fit over the CHE plug). It is also designed to stick to the cage (read aquarium for a lizard) wall. I have a wire cage. I tried sticking it both to my filing cabinet & the wall. Neither worked to hold the box up past a couple days. For me though, those are both aesthetic things & the actually unit works great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the repti temp..is it digital? I know silvercat says its not,but then silverquill says it is. Are there diffrent models? This isnt much of a price difference to me 10 bucks, but if one is better then the other id rather get it ya know? The Repti i read some bad reviews like the temp you set it at, tends to run higher then it should or something. Is this true? I like the look of the zilla looks really easy to use. I know the sticky for heating the cage gave the two options, are there any other options to use? Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The one I have is not. To set it up I hooked up both the Repti temp & the thermometer, with the sensor ends in the same place in my hedgie's cage. You set the dial to the centre. You then let the cage heat up until a) the thermometer reaches the temperature you want. You then turn the dial down until the light goes off. If the light goes off before you reach your pref. temp, you turn the dial up until successful. Once you've set it all up & are happy with the dial you shouldn't need to touch it again unless it gets hit. Except for physically moving the location of the box, I haven't touched mine since it was set up

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow... Ok I just got the reptitemp in the mail and silvercat is right there's no temperature markings at all no digital no nothin. I was pissed, online the plastic package made it look like the was a window on the device for digital readout.... Well since finding this out I fully recommend the zilla brand thermostat, I will be returning the reptitemp and have already ordered another zilla which actually has temperture markings listed on the dial which makes it very easy to tell the exact temp where the probe is at that moment as well as what you want it to be.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do also have an aditional thermometer and judging by it I can confirm that the temperature markings on the zilla are pretty decent in accuracy. There are two lights on it green and red, green is always on showing the thermostat is plugged in. The red light comes on if the cage temp is lower than what is set at the dial. Sooo you can tell what temp the cage is at by turning the dial to the point where the red light turns on and off. Since it has about the same readout as the digital thermometer I use one at each end of the cage and it works out pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I have the Reptitemp and has never had a problem with it. Not having the degrees on it is really not a huge deal as you can't go by the degrees shown anyways.

Just as an FYI, unless it has changed recently, the Zilla thermostat is not allowed to be sold in Canada as it did not pass Canadian safety standards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts