Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
8,954 Posts
lulu4au said:
http://planethedgehog.com/100_0902.JPG this one is 190 dollars
You could build that cage and get the supplies for about a third of what they are asking for it. That's an insane price for what you are getting.

I notice in most of your posts you use computer text. Please try to write normally. For those of us who don't use computer speak, reading it is extremely annoying. :)

· Registered
5,081 Posts
Hahaha, what poor uneducated people must fall for that and actually pay that much...

Yep, I bet it would cost no more than $50 to put that all together.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
oops I am so sorry Nancy.

· Registered
2,692 Posts
I just seen the cage and I was shocked how much they were trying to sell that for. You could by a one lvl ferret nation for that price and fully stock it for 190. It's good you posted first so that you know because I feel sorry for all the people that didn't and paid that much for something that could be put together for 50 dollars.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
well i am so glad i posted it and didn't buy it first! lol :D

· Registered
5,081 Posts
Yes, that is a good cage. You might need to weave something through the bars though so he doesn't climb up and break a leg/get stuck. You also might want to modify the top so you can get the wheel or your hedgie out easily- Nancy has some great instructions for how to do that.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The top of my cage opens up so I can get the wheel out that way. Today I need to go find a better wheel since I heard the Flying Saucer Wheel is not a good wheel for him.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Oh and when you mean weave something through the bars do you mean over the whole cage or just on the sides? Also Nancy could you tell me how to go about this and what material should I use?

· Registered
644 Posts
The flying saucer is a fine wheel to use. The only concern that is ever brought up is that the angle of running (because they tend to cross their legs over when they run on them) may cause some joint and mobility issues in the future. Of course, these wheels have not been around long enough for anyone to know for sure. A lot of people of here do use them. If you are worried about joint issues and your cage is large enough you can leave the flying saucer in, but also pick up an upright wheel like a comfort wheel. That way your hedgehog has a choice of which to run on. Just make sure you secure the comfort wheel to the side of your cage.

Personally, I think they are both a major pain in the butt to clean, because of the ridges. If you want to go ahead and invest in a wheel, I would look into buying one of the custom wheels from people on here. Larry makes a great one, and there are others too who have posted in the "for sale" section.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Someone on a differnt forum told me that, not any one on this one. But he does like that wheel so I may just leave it in there and buy one from Larry. I have heard nothing but good things about his wheels.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Think the one thing I read from another site about the flying saucer was problems if the hog's toe nails were too long, not sure if it was tripping or stubbing their little toes on the ridges, but of course that wasn't from this site. I do remember when I first came here thinking "well all these guys seem to do fine with them". But of course regular nail trimming which you're suppose to do solves that problem, but then again people like who had my Vera Lee before neglected things like that, her back nails were literally a quarter inch long.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I do clip his toe nails when i give him a foot bath. I like to keep them short (but not too short) so when he crawls all over me which he loves to I don't get scratches. But he does fine on the wheel plus it is easy to clean. But how can I make the cage where he won't crawl on the bars?

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
oh and thank you so much Nancy! You do amazing work! Also thank you larry for the wheel : )

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.