Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
644 Posts
Yes those are the right shelving units.

My girls both have custom C&C cages with a shelving unit attached with zipties for the openable lid. http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=100

I recently bought this cage for my new boy Oakley, though and I love it!!

http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/category/default.aspx?maincatid=27&subcat=4&submenu=0&catid=142

It costs from $40-$60 depending on where you buy it from and comes with the bottom, the sides, the lid, and the cage divider with ramp which lets you portion off a separate litter/wheel area. I will post pictures on the cage examples thread soon!

The only thing is that because it's so open you either need 2 150W ceramic heat emitters (like I have) or to insulate the sidings yourself with plastic sheets (I will probably do this in the winter time). Also the sides are a little low, but becasue Oakley's so small they are high enough for him and he can't get over them to climb. However if your hedgie is bigger you might need to make the sides higher with some coroplast.

Hope that helps!

· Registered
644 Posts
The flying saucer is a fine wheel to use. The only concern that is ever brought up is that the angle of running (because they tend to cross their legs over when they run on them) may cause some joint and mobility issues in the future. Of course, these wheels have not been around long enough for anyone to know for sure. A lot of people of here do use them. If you are worried about joint issues and your cage is large enough you can leave the flying saucer in, but also pick up an upright wheel like a comfort wheel. That way your hedgehog has a choice of which to run on. Just make sure you secure the comfort wheel to the side of your cage.

Personally, I think they are both a major pain in the butt to clean, because of the ridges. If you want to go ahead and invest in a wheel, I would look into buying one of the custom wheels from people on here. Larry makes a great one, and there are others too who have posted in the "for sale" section.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.