Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so i am almost done buying the stuff needed. Just need a digital thermometer. Will probably get it at petco nearer to the date cuz i'm just too tired of shopping. (what a surprise.)

Anyway, today i bought the last few needed cage accessories except for the wood shavings.
(i have now: a 110qt/106lt bin from target, a 12" comfort wheel, a food bowl, 16 oz water bottle, igloo, a toy.)

So i am trying to arrange the cage for the most room possible that still makes the cage look good.
except not sure which way i like the best.

set up A.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p105 ... esetup.jpg
this is my cage set up. (Water bottle not pictured). I put the denim snuggle sack inside the igloo. There is a hat toy to the left of the igloo. It doesn't look like much room.
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p105 ... ercage.jpg
here it is again with a more measured one. I put a ruler in between the wheel and the igloo. (12 inches)

set up B.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p105 ... etupb2.jpg
it looks like there is more room this way,but i'm not sure if i like the lay out like this.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p105 ... setupb.jpg
There is a foot and a half from igloo to wall... more space this way.

but i'm not sure if i like the set up of set up b even though it will give him more room.
is there a way to attach the comfort wheel to the side of the bin that makes the wheel still work? anybody got pictures of their wheel connected to the side? is it possible to connect it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I was using the plastic bins, I tried connecting the wheel to the sides at first. To put it plainly, it was a pain in the... well, you know hahaha. First, my dad almost broke the bin trying to drill it (I would look up tips on drilling first, because I didn't and cracked it :oops: ), and then the wheel rubbed the back of the cage and it was harder for Dewey to run (I also have that exact same Comfort Wheel haha). And it makes it easier to take out and clean if you leave it on the stand. I guess it just depends on if you do a better job attaching the wheel or whatever. Hahahaha. That was just my experience with that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
And if you use the stand, make sure to get the wheel on there REALLY well. I've had problems with mine falling off the stand :shock:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lose the water bottle and just use another small bowl (people say they drink more from bowls due to easier access also) they can chip/lose their teeth from chewing on the metal, plus it looks like you have the bottle laying on it's side in the cage and that would take up much more space than a bowl would as well. Also I would go with fleece liners instead of shavings for multiple reasons, liners smell less cuz they're easier to clean and cost less in the long run and arn't as likley to harbor mites, They look better to IMO. If you're worried about space you could always go the c&c way instead of a bin or connect another bin to that one you have. Iwould also look into a bucket wheel of some sort, they are virtually silent and won't fall over/apart like the comfort wheels can, if you do end up using the comfort wheel I'd find some way to attach it so it dosent fall over.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only reason the water bottle is on the floor is because i haven't hooked it up to the wall yet.
I am planning to connect it to the wall...
The breeder where I am getting my hedgie says that the hedgies have been using a water bottle. But i'll change it if i see that there is a problem with it.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
You could connect 2 bins together for lots more floor space.
All it takes is a 4 inch peice of pvc to connect them,lots of people use a soldering iron to melt the plastic for the holes...I just use a hole saw so much easier.
If you want to attach the wheel to the bin it's very simple to do just melt a hole or drill one on the narrow end of the cage. If you attach the wheel to the long sides of the bin it will rub.
The water bottle has it's pros and cons and IMO it has more cons than pros so I don't use them.
If your hedgie comes from the breeder using a water bottle you can put a bowl under the bottle to give your new hedgie a choice as to which one it likes best.

Edited for spelling

·
Registered
259 Posts
LarryT said:
If your hedgie comes from the breeder using a water bottle you can put a bowl under the bottle to give your new hedgie a choice as to which one it likes best.
That's exactly what I did and she chose the bowl. :D I even ended up getting a slightly bigger bowl because between her drinking and the heat evaporating, I was afraid she'd run out when I wasn't home. Now we are both happy! :D

~Melissa

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can use a soldering tool to easily make holes in the plastic. I've attached my wheel to the bin at the end, not a side wall (attaching to the side wall takes up so much space). You have to square the hole off so the base of the spindle fits in secure. I used a box cutter to square it off once the hole is made. This keeps the wheel from rubbing on the side.

I even have a small bin I use for traveling. The end wall is the same width so it fits perfect. I just cut a hole in the lid so the wheel fits through it.

Plus your hedgie is going to arrainge the bedding and such how it wants it so don't fret too much.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Set up B looks better to me. You may want to think about adding a second bin (a small one would work) and connecting them with PVC pipe or plastic gutter. If you use a drill you need to heat the plastic first with a hair dyer. A soldering iron is much quicker but not everyone has access to one. Make sure that you put vent holes in the plastic. Stagger them so that you don't weaken the plastic too much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really want to add a second floor, since i think its cool and would give the hedgie more room to walk around. But right now my mom says 1 floor is good for now since a.) we still have 16 more days to go :( b.) it's my first hedgie so we'll see how things turn out.

I am very excited for my hedgie. I'm thinking about decorating the sides of the bin with his name on it, whatever his name will be...Still clueless on it. :? (Any suggestions? Private message me since i want this post to be about the cage).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts