Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that Silent Spinners are dangerous because they're prone to tipping over. But I noticed while investigating different wheels in the pet store that the SS can be detached from its stand and clipped to the side of the cage. Would is still be dangerous if it was used this way? I have a CW for Lily that clips to the side of the cage, and so far I haven't had any problems with it. I personally don't like the Flying Saucers (too hard to clean), and the top of Annabelle's cage is too low to accommodate a giant CW. What do you think?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LarryT said:
The silent spinner has slits in the running surface,making it easy for a hedgie to get a nail/toe caught and substain a serious injury.
Oh, lol. You know, I never noticed that. Ah well, the quest for a wheel continues. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yes, they can tip over, but the main concern was with the yellow nut in the middle unscrewing and causing the wheel to fall apart onto the hedgie. No matter what you can't adjust that. ;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Huh! I love the flying saucer, its very easy for me to clean. I just detach the top from the base, throw saucer top into the sink and soak all day, later rinse off with super-hot water and let air dry before giving back.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
krbshappy71 said:
Huh! I love the flying saucer, its very easy for me to clean. I just detach the top from the base, throw saucer top into the sink and soak all day, later rinse off with super-hot water and let air dry before giving back.
I think they were talking about the downsides of the Silent Spinner one not the Flying Saucer. If I ever get a petstore one I would definately go with the saucer one you have :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
krbshappy71 said:
Yeah, I liked the Flying Saucer but I had problems cleaning it. The poop tended to get packed against the rivets and i never felt like it was truly clean. I wish I had access to a sink for hedgie cleaning, but all I have is a super-tiny bathroom sink and the kitchen sink where we do dishes. That doesn't seem very sanitary to me, lol.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
When at my apartment, I use a tiny bathroom sink to clean my FS too, and it gets pretty clean.

I wet the entire wheel, spray on my vinegar solution, leave that while I go tidy up the rest of his cage and feed him. So around 10-15 min later, I go back, I have a designated brush that I just got at the dollar store, and everything just comes right off easily. I've never had a problem getting it squeaky clean.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I love the Flying Saucer too.

I'm not the best judge of how easy wheels are to clean because Quigley doesn't usually poop on it, but every so often he will get it messy. Usually by morning most of the poop pieces are dry and I dump them off into the toilette. Then I rinse it in the tub and spray vinegar on it. When it needs scrubbing it is much easier than the other wheels I've had (especially the silent spinner - before I knew it was dangerous) because it is a mostly flat surface, I can hold the bottom knob and scrub it all over without awkwardly reaching inside or getting poop all over my arm. :lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
LarryT said:
I had a rescue that came in with a FS and she would run so fast it would sling poo all over the cage walls every nite :lol: so I got rid of it.
I just put up a splash guard up behind the wheel.

[attachment=0:3pcbl6gd]Cage setup.jpg[/attachment:3pcbl6gd]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
hedgielover said:
LarryT said:
I had a rescue that came in with a FS and she would run so fast it would sling poo all over the cage walls every nite :lol: so I got rid of it.
I just put up a splash guard up behind the wheel.

[attachment=0:1i8g04w4]Cage setup.jpg[/attachment:1i8g04w4]
Good idea :lol: I just went with a Carolina Storm Wheel :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LarryT said:
HAHA! That explains why I used to find turds stuck to the wall behind Annabelle's cage! I wonder why I never made the connection before. :p

·
Registered
578 Posts
Another thing on the to-do list tonight! Make a poo splash matt for Daisy's temporary Flying Saucer wheel.

:p

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah thanks to the Carolina Storm Wheel my hedgie is happy. So happy that there's poop all over the place :lol: thankfully that thing is super silent. For some reason Rex likes to lie under it at night before running on it. he just tucks himself under the wheel. it's weird. I guess he really loves it! :lol:

·
Registered
902 Posts
karidaluv said:
Yeah thanks to the Carolina Storm Wheel my hedgie is happy. So happy that there's poop all over the place :lol: thankfully that thing is super silent. For some reason Rex likes to lie under it at night before running on it. he just tucks himself under the wheel. it's weird. I guess he really loves it! :lol:
Two in one product, eh? He's created a Carolina Igloo?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
karidaluv said:
For some reason Rex likes to lie under it at night before running on it. he just tucks himself under the wheel. it's weird. I guess he really loves it! :lol:
Kashi does the same thing :lol:
Except he will squeeze himself under the wheel back and forth, a few times before laying there... I have no idea why he does this :lol:

·
Registered
165 Posts
shaelikestaquitos said:
karidaluv said:
For some reason Rex likes to lie under it at night before running on it. he just tucks himself under the wheel. it's weird. I guess he really loves it! :lol:
Kashi does the same thing :lol:
Except he will squeeze himself under the wheel back and forth, a few times before laying there... I have no idea why he does this :lol:
So funny... Watson does too...he goes back and forth between sleeping under the wheel and in his igloo :roll:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Oh no...i didnt know the silent spinner was dangerous! i have to get a carolina wheel for him then....should i take it away from him now? he seems to love it alot...i covered the rivets with some padding..so that should be ok for now right? he just got angry and hissed at me cause i took it away from him

1 - 20 of 21 Posts