Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a nursing mother. My son is almost 8 wks old. I know hedgehogs have a keen sense of smell. && Will bite if they smell something worthy of tasting. My little guy was trying to burrow I believe under my breast/ and in my armpit. Will he bite my breast due to the milk/or try?
I accidentally dropped him due to this. I won't let him go near the girls next time. He just wanted to go to cuddle & nap. When he gets like that I'll have to put him in a bonding sack.
He has bitten me once. It was more a taste if you will. He hasn't done it since. I make sure to not use lotions before I handle him. I don't use scented soaps before I handle him.

I am new to having a hedgehog. Please don't judge as I am learning. Having a pet like him is unique & every day I learn something new.

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
His biting may have had nothing to due with the fact you are nursing. Many a hedgehog has tried to burrow into armpis and try to taste the area. Between the salty sweat and deodorant (even unscented can still have a smell to them) they sometimes just find it interesting and want to take a taste. As you are well aware of now, interest like that leads to licks and nips/bites. It can best to try to discourage them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts