Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So maybe I am overreacting but I'm sad and worried. After 7+ years of wanting one I finally got Miss Shay over the weekend. She's 2 and her previous owners said she's never bit. The night I took her home she bit me and broke the skin, I was surprised but realized it was one the third step in stress signs and after looking into it I knew the two other signs had been present so I understood why she bit me. Tonight when I got home from work I went to check on her and had my hand in her cage near her to get use to my scent(cause my intention was to take her out) and she bit me out of nowhere :( My boyfriend interacts with her while I'm at work and she hasn't bit him or anyone else in her two years. So now I want to cry because I'm worried that after years of wanting my dream pet and finally getting her, she hates me. Sorry for the venting but I also need advice on it

·
Registered
176 Posts
do you use different hand soap (maybe at work) or strong perfumes? Might be something on your skin, your hedgehog likes the smell of.
my hedgehog has bitten me once, when I stupidly picked up some chicken I was feeding him, so he could smell it on me. My hedgie frequently tries to bite my partner, because his soap smells of strawberries, where as i use hand sanitizer, which is pretty neutral smelling

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Are your nails painted? Do you smoke? If it's scent related, just look closely at the differences are between the products you use vs what your boyfriend uses. It could be something silly (often is). Could be as simple as you smell delicious. I know it's discouraging, but don't take it personally. You never know what it is that might upset them, but I promise they don't have the capacity to hate you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Didymus did the same thing. I got him when he was 10 weeks old and his previous owner said none of her hedgehogs ever bit. But he bit my friend and mother and her boyfriend within the first few days. I realized that he was "tasting" his environment and found new things tasty, they all had some kind of smelly lotion on. I usually make sure to wash off hand lotion before i pick him up. Hopefully Miss Shay will kiss you instead of nibble! Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Ok, don't let your hedgehog "kiss" you. It doesn't mean what you want it to mean. If they lick you, they are already at stage two of "your going to get bit"

If you notice your hedgehog smelling you intently, you might want to distract your hedgehog or move him away from whatever he's sniffing.

Sniffing leads to licking.
Licking leads to painful discount body piercings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts