Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying using fleece for about 3 nights now.

I have one girl who is a slob and one that is fairly neat.

The slobby girl I have been completely changing her cage everyday. I wash her house and toys and completely take out and wash her liner as there is so much poop all over it is gross.

The other girl I completely changed the first night as well. But the second time I could spot clean, but when I only spot cleaned the next morning it smelled like urine really bad. I have a really sensitive nose when it comes to smells and I just don't know if I can handle changing the fleece out and washing everything every day.

I am slightly OCD as I scoop my cat's litter box right after they go because I can smell it even if no one else can. If that gives you an idea, I am sure no someone else they can't smell it but I can.

When I had used the Aspen bedding I could go 3 days without having to change it or smell anything. I hated the mess on the floor though because everytime I got them out it went all over.

Is carefresh the best bedding to go with if I go back to bedding?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I must not have a nose. Mine go for a week before I change them out unless they spilled their water. Maybe females smell stronger than males, though. I have two males.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Carefresh may be a hit or miss. There have been cases of hedgies developing rash-like blotches mostly around their face, and sometimes on their body which could possibly from the carefresh drying out their skin too much, thus creating itchy spots that get scratched like crazy. They like to burrow so much that their face would get hit the worse.

However, there are others who have no problems with it. So you would have to try and see for yourself if your girls are sensitive to the product.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol: I have a SUPER nose. I hate it.

My gramma has let everyone have a key to her house, and one time I could smell someone had been there while we were gone shopping. I knew who it was just by the smell in the house and so we called and she had been there! Creepy?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Have you tried training them to use the litter pan? It may help some with the gross-factor, but as for the smell, I can't think of anything. A 50/50 solution (vinegar/water) might help for smell, but maybe not. Sorry for the shoddy advice, that's all I got today. :|

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Try a litter pan under the wheel (if not already) and that way you can change out the papertowel every morning (or alternative litter). 50/50 vinegar & water works well too. Sometimes if I find Sylvie's cage area not quite 'fresh' enough but not overly dirty I will remove the food/water dish & do a 50/50 spray as if it was febreeze.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This reminds me of something I've been curious about. I know that arm & hammer baking soda can be used in the fridge to "absorb" odors, but I was curious if the same concept would work in areas other than the fridge. They make these little "pod" things, and it would be pretty easy to mount one near a hedgie's cage:

http://www.churchdwight.ca/product.php?productidx=00180

I have no idea if it would actually work, but it's an idea. If, after I get my hedgehog, I find that my room doesn't smell so fresh, I'll give it a try, and post if it works. :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to give it a week or two and see but right now I am not liking it. I will keep you updated if I figure out something.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
nessariel said:
This reminds me of something I've been curious about. I know that arm & hammer baking soda can be used in the fridge to "absorb" odors, but I was curious if the same concept would work in areas other than the fridge. They make these little "pod" things, and it would be pretty easy to mount one near a hedgie's cage:

http://www.churchdwight.ca/product.php?productidx=00180

I have no idea if it would actually work, but it's an idea. If, after I get my hedgehog, I find that my room doesn't smell so fresh, I'll give it a try, and post if it works. :p
When Sylvie was in the tupper wear cage, I had one of those stuck to the wall. You need to stick it on real good, otherwise it will fall in the cage. Seemed to work really well. It was at the top, out of her reach. The cage she's in now is all bars, so instead I have an open box of baking soda near by which also seems to work.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Does your cage have proper ventilation? Ammonia shouldn't build up that quickly. Urine is sterile when it leaves the body and it's only after contact with air that it develops an odor. Proper ventilation is paramount because your hedgehog can become seriously ill from breathing in ammonia.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I thought I was the only one! I have the same problem with the fleece liners. They stink! Everyone else thinks I'm crazy because I hate them.

My hedgehog is a boy so I don't think it has to do with gender. I think most people just don't have sensitive noses. I can tell if certain people have been in a room recently too.

I've been using papertowels and changing them daily. I'm looking for an alternative also since I feel bad about killing the trees. I've tried yesterday news but that got REALLY STINKY after 2 days. Plus my hedgie insisted on sleeping in it. Now I've got 15lbs of the stuff and I don't know what to do with it. (Anyone in central NJ want it?) I have carefresh, but I'm afraid he'll end up sleeping in it too. When he sleeps in his litter box, he ends up pooping in his sleeping box. I used carefresh for my dwarf hamster and it did get stinky at the end of the week. Hedgehog poop = 10x the size of dwarf hamster poop. I suspect it will do little for the smell as well.

I'm thinking I might try the fleece liners again, only this time change them out daily and store them in an airtight container until laundry day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts