Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a first time owner of an adorable baby hedgie named Moose. I've had him for two days now and I'm sure some might think it is much too soon to be worried about this but I can't help it. I don't see him eat. His food looks untouched, but then again I'm not the one who filled the bowl, the breeder did. When I take him out, he eventually warms up a bit and becomes social, but refuses all food I offer him. I gave him water today from the bottle provided to me by the breeder and he drank that, but wanted no part of the food. Is likely that I'm just missing him eating? I do have a full time job and am gone for nine and a half hours every day. Or could this be a serious problem?
The food I was told to get is Blue Buffalo.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi! One of my new rescues is named moose as well. But if your concerned about him eating, consider buying a scale and weighing the amount of food you give him each night and then weigh it again in the morning and record the difference. You can also do this by counting kibbles. Do this for a few nights, and record the amount. Your hedgie may just not be a big eater. My other hedgehog Oliver is not. He typically eats only about 7-9 grams a night. If you feel that the amount he is eating is too low, take him to the vet with your log, and see what is going on. That's the only advice I have. I use blue buffalo and my hedgies love it so I doubt it's the food itself.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You need to provide fresh food and water every day.

Count the kibble in the dish before and after you feed him, that will let you know how much he's eating.

Reactions: lilsurfergrlsp
1 - 4 of 4 Posts