Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trimmed his nails twice before and though it was tough, i managed. I tried last night and he WOULD NOT let me. He balled up, huffed, and tucked his foot in which was hilarious haha. I normally let him eat and lift one side of his body with one hand and stick the clippers under his nail with the other..but this time he resisted in every way possible. After 1 hour I gave up.

Does this happen from time to time? What else can I do to this spoiled little brat haha :roll:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've needed to trim Sophie's nails 3 times so far since I've gotten her. Twice she was fine with it, but one time she wasn't, and I just clipped one or two nails at a time every time I took her out until all four feet were done.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It's funny, some days I can do every single nail and even go back and clean up the ones that aren't perfect. Other days, I can't get even one - she's just not in the mood. So, yeah... it happens to me too.

How I deal with the "no way you're cutting my nails" nights are to just play with her feet and try again the next day.

When we were new to each other, I'd bring the clippers out just about every single night and try so that if it happened to be a "good" night, I could rest easy the next few nights. Sometimes, I only got one or two... no big deal... I'd get the others some other time. I'd also play with her little feet when I had no intention of clipping her nails... just to keep her used to me fussing with them.

It works to be really zen about the whole thing. I think it's pretty easy to get caught up in a power struggle that doesn't work for you or hedgie.

Good luck!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I do ours in the bath and I have finally convinced myself it is ok to just get one foot at a time as long as I consistently check them. I kept wanting to do all four feet while I had them, which I now feel that put them through too long of stress periods. I am not skilled yet, I am so careful it takes me awhile just for one foot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always do them after a bath. Yesterday he was just being a little brat and wanted nothing to do with me lol. I guess I will try and clip one nail every time I take him out. =/ I wish they were easier sometimes haha

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
smhufflepuff said:
I

It works to be really zen about the whole thing. I think it's pretty easy to get caught up in a power struggle that doesn't work for you or hedgie.

Good luck!
This is very true. Last time we clipped Quigley's nails it was such an ordeal. He will not let us do it any other way than in a tub and usually it takes one person to hold him and one to clip even then we may only get one or two nails. There is a rare occasion when I can do it alone.

Last time we did it I had left it too long and they needed to be done so badly I wanted to get the longest one on each foot. The critical nails. There was a power struggle. We got the nails clipped but I don't think we won. Josh (my boyfriend) had been bitten, I had been poked, Quigley was stressed and mad at us (although fine once bribed with extra meal worms). Pushing to get four nails done at once was really not worth it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He used to just sit there and let me clip his nails while he ate. Now he gets all huffy haha. I used to be like wowwww this is so easy. He would let me lift one side of his body and clip away...not hes like I hate you mom go away haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts